Warshington D.C. Folks

Are there any decent places to stay near the Rock & Roll Hotel on 1353 H Street NE?

I'm going to see Califone there on Saturday, but I'm trying to not spend $135 on a hotel that is 15 blocks away.

Are there any decent places to stay near the Rock & Roll Hotel on 1353 H Street NE?

I'm going to see Califone there on Saturday, but I'm trying to not spend $135 on a hotel that is 15 blocks away.

I've heard that's at least a semi-sketchy neighborhood, although I have never been so I can't confirm if that assessment is true or not.

I was very tempted to edit your post to say this.

I would almost go as far as to say you were "very, very tempted..."

//editor's note: No, you see, I was tempted to edit the real post like so.

I've heard that's at least a semi-sketchy neighborhood, although I have never been so I can't confirm if that assessment is true or not.

It seems like all of the venue's reviews have a similar theme.

I was very tempted to edit your post to say this.

Yeah, if anyone lives in the area.........................and has floor space for 3. We tip!

Dude,

I have been there. The venue is cool, but it really is in "not nice" part of town. Plus, it is very difficult to get a cab in that area unless you make some other arrangement late night. I was thinking about going to this show too.

I was planning to get the cab service's number if I had to do the 15 block/hotel deal.

Yeah. It's a good bet you'll have to do that. As an aside, if I do go to a show on Saturday night, I've been debating who to go see. Sea and Cake is playing at the Black Cat that night too.

Yeah. It's a good bet you'll have to do that. As an aside, if I do go to a show on Saturday night, I've been debating who to go see. Sea and Cake is playing at the Black Cat that night too.

Ah, I'll be skipping Califone to see S&C on Friday night in Philly.

Lot of driving to do this weekend.

Ah, I'll be skipping Califone to see S&C on Friday night in Philly.

Lot of driving to do this weekend.

I hear ya. I'm doing a marathon Wilco road trip at the end of the month up to Vermont. Maybe I should do a poll of which show to go to. :wub

Everyone in the area should try to see this show if they can. I just saw Califone twice last weekend ... absolutely stunning shows. DC is just a little too far out of my road-trip realm although don't think I didn't consider it. I love this band so ... damn ... much.

The opening act "The Bitter Tears" from Chicago are a kitchy bunch of great songwriters, a bit campy but that's their gimmick.

HOWEVER --- when 3 of the Bitter Tears guys join Califone for quite a few songs (4 or 5 songs in Cleveland) and add trumpet, clarinet, and trombone and other noisemakers .... it is something gorgeous to witness/hear. Those horns swell up, back off, creating an even more impressive soundscape. It was amazing, also made Tim Rutili smile really, really big. :)

Plus -- Ben Massarella is along for these shows, which always makes them so perfectly "Califone."

Tayzee Nub ---> jam ---> Electric Fence = mind-blowing (that was at the Nelsonville show at Stuart's Opera House, very cool venue BTW)

Do it. Go!!!

Wait ... Owl ... skipping Califone??? :brow

Although I did pick up the new Sea & Cake in Cleveland at the Record Revolution, it's good. The songs were kinda samey sounding after a few spins, but good.

Tayzee Nub ---> jam ---> Electric Fence

Wow.

Yeah, I am skipping a night of the 'Fone. There were a number of reasons, but I also figured that I had to pick *one* of the two consecutive nights to see them. So I picked Sea & Cake Friday to hang out with some old college friends, and then D.C. on Saturday.

Wow.

Yeah, I am skipping a night of the 'Fone. There were a number of reasons, but I also figured that I had to pick *one* of the two consecutive nights to see them. So I picked Sea & Cake Friday to hang out with some old college friends, and then D.C. on Saturday.

I'm sorry you had to make a choice, I know it must have been tough but at least you get to see the final show (I'm not counting Pitchfork because that'll probably be only 45 minutes, and that's not enough Califone time for me).

I really need to get over to Pastrysharp and post some setlists -- I also saw them in Madison and Milwaukee 2 weeks ago, with The Pabst show in Milwaukee being the best ... Califone ... show ... ever. :worship and at this point I've seen them maybe 10 times since Roots & Crowns. :wub

Damn! I think I have to go to this now.

Seriously, yes! It's the last show!!!

Oh, now I want to go really really bad! :(

On another side note, someone recently posted a comment on Pastrysharp saying that Tim is disillusioned about the turnouts at the show, and that they might not tour for much longer.

So now would be the time.

And back to the D.C. thing. So...is the consensus that I'm better off staying 15 blocks away in Capitol Hill?

Guest Rufer

You've already heard correctly that the Rn'R Hotel is in a pretty sketchy area. The clubs and bars down there that are part of this 'neighborhood revitalization' do offer a free shuttle TO Union Station which is the nearest Metro stop for the trip home. I would shop around for hotels other than on Capitol Hill that are near Metro stops and you might be able to do a bit better without much of an inconvenience.

The Rock and Roll Hotel is definitely a cool club though. Have fun.

Anyway, here's an interesting article on the changes a-brewing in the H street neighborhood that was run in the Post a couple of months back:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7031700699.html

Guest Rufer
Cool! Thanks! Yes, definitely the 15 block option is my recommendation

Hey Mr. Margaritatime,

I see your location is James Carville's next-door neighbor. Is that for real? I ask because just the other day I saw him driving his kid to school in my neighborhood.