I agree, Wrecking Ball launched Emmylou's late career resurgence. Aracdie is the only Lanois album I own, but it is quite good.

(man this is an old thread, I didn't even read that stuff after I posted last time.)

LouieB

So cool! Glad to see Dan getting his due around these parts. I just listened to Acadie and Winona yesterday for the first time in ages, and he absolutely slays me as a songwriter. (Fun fact: in an uncharacteristic burst of egotism, I took my screen name from his song "The Maker" on Acadie.) The way he incorporates everything from zydeco to traditional folk to New Orleanean sounds into his soupy production style is fantastic, and I love that he keeps his Frenglish simple enough for a thick-headed Anglo Canuck like myself to understand most all of it.

"Where Will I Be" from Emmylou's Wrecking Ball has long been my favourite song of his, and Wrecking Ball and Time Out of Mind are my favourite albums he's produced.

I still haven't heard Teatro, but after the praise its' gotten in this thread, I think I might pick it up tomorrow.

Met an Indian boy in Ottawa

He laid me down on a bed of straw

Said don't waste your breath

Don't waste your heart

Don't blister your heels

Running in the dark

"So" by Peter Gabriel

"Ron Sexsmith" by Ron Sexsmith

"Achtung Baby" by U2

3 of my all-time favorites -- the guy's a genius.

Daniel Lanois also did some fine work on Robbie Robertson's self titled debut album and also on one of my all time favorites, Robertson's "Storyville". B)

Daniel Lanois also did some fine work on Robbie Robertson's self titled debut album and also on one of my all time favorites, Robertson's "Storyville". B)
Hence dispelling the rumor on one of the Band's threads that Robbie had no solo career. Both are great albums. Not that Robbie is such a great singer....but....

LouieB

Hence dispelling the rumor on one of the Band's threads that Robbie had no solo career. Both are great albums. Not that Robbie is such a great singer....but....

I really like "Contact from the Underworld of Redboy". It was defintely different (an electronica record to a certain degree), and pretty trippy with interesting message songs about the Native American experience. (Is it politically correct to call "Indians" from Canada "Native Canadians"?)

still haven't heard Teatro, but after the praise its' gotten in this thread, I think I might pick it up tomorrow

Get thee to a record store!

Should we start the "Lanois to produce Wilco" thread going?

The track "Falling at Your Feet" written/played/sung w/ Bono is a pretty great track. The version they did for the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack is nice but I prefer the alternative cut off of Lanois's Shine album, also featuring Bono.