Tortoise This Sunday in Chicago

I am going with a friend's dad. Anyone else? If so, what time do the doors open?

If I didn't have to make one more trip to Springfield on Monday morning I would be there.....have fun.

LouieB

I saw Tortoise perform at the Jazz Festival in Vancouver the other night and they were smokin' hot! I hardly ever get a chance to see live music anymore, but when I do, it's usually a band from Chicago. :thumbup

I saw Tortoise perform at the Jazz Festival in Vancouver the other night and they were smokin' hot! I hardly ever get a chance to see live music anymore, but when I do, it's usually a band from Chicago. :thumbup
I know I am an obnoxious promoter of Chicago music, but this is one of the great music towns on earth, period. Tortoise and associated bands and various projects of all the musicians in them make marvelous music that is unparralled. Few towns are as lucky as we are.

Another gig I will miss this weekend is the legendary Roscoe Mitchell playing with the AACM Great Black Music Ensemble at the Velvet Lounge on Saturday.

LouieB

I know I am an obnoxious promoter of Chicago music, but this is one of the great music towns on earth, period. Tortoise and associated bands and various projects of all the musicians in them make marvelous music that is unparralled. Few towns are as lucky as we are.

Chicago is a wonderful city and if it wasn't for Wilco (and VC), I probably would never have discovered so much great music and so many amazing people. :cheers

The first children's album I bought for my baby daughter was the Wee Hairy Beasties (Kelly Hogan, Jon Langford, Sally Timms, Devil in a Woodpile) on Bloodshot. I'm working hard to make our home a Raffi free zone!

Chicago is a wonderful city and if it wasn't for Wilco (and VC), I probably would never have discovered so much great music and so many amazing people. :cheers

The first children's album I bought for my baby daughter was the Wee Hairy Beasties (Kelly Hogan, Jon Langford, Sally Timms, Devil in a Woodpile) on Bloodshot. I'm working hard to make our home a Raffi free zone!

Sadly my kids are no longer kids and despite being a big Bloodshot fan, I can't quite justify buying this one. The other Bloodshot kids album is The Bottle Let Me Down, which is also good.

One of the first shows I dragged Rosie to was a Bloodshot kids show at the Empty Bottle of all places. It was a very fun scene (actually they held two there about a year apart), but if you know the Bottle it is a typical rock joint, smelling of beer and cigarettes. The first one featured Moonshine Willie as I recall. I think Splitlip Rayfield was also on the bill. The second one had Kelly Hogan and Jon Langford. A third one was at the Hideout, Alejandro Escovedo was on the bill, but we didn't stay long enough to see him, although we did talk to him outside for a few minutes. I guess that's why Rosie grew up to like the Bloodshot artists.

LouieB