Mikael Jorgensen is the band member that...

err, i think he does "touch" Bennett and Bach. are we ignoring AGIB and SBS? Hell Is Chrome is about the best piano-based Wilco song in my opinion, but outside of my opinion i think it'd be hard to deny that Jorgensen's piano part in it is pretty damn distinctive. with my slight disappointment in the evolution of Walken's piano part aside, SBS is also full of great key playing. I'd say that all three key-players are great talents and there's no basis to leave Jorgensen out of the club. Personally I prefer Bach above the others, because I think he had great taste. But all three have contributed too much to Wilco to marginalize any one of them.

err, i think he does "touch" Bennett and Bach. are we ignoring AGIB and SBS? Hell Is Chrome is about the best piano-based Wilco song in my opinion, but outside of my opinion i think it'd be hard to deny that Jorgensen's piano part in it is pretty damn distinctive. with my slight disappointment in the evolution of Walken's piano part aside, SBS is also full of great key playing. I'd say that all three key-players are great talents and there's no basis to leave Jorgensen out of the club. Personally I prefer Bach above the others, because I think he had great taste. But all three have contributed too much to Wilco to marginalize any one of them.

See I'd always thought it was O'Rourke playing the intro to that, but you're right it is Jorgensen. I love Mike's playing and wasn't trying to knock him it all, I just prefer Leroy particularly the live shows from his era. What's really amazing is he's playing some of those parts a la Steven Drozd of the lips while playing second guitar to Jeff at the same time. My personal favorite piano moments on Ghost are Handshake and ATLWYS both are which feature Leroy, though Mike is all over Hummingbird.

As for Jay, well listen to YHF and Summerteeth, nuff said.

--Mike

See I'd always thought it was O'Rourke playing the intro to that, but you're right it is Jorgensen. I love Mike's playing and wasn't trying to knock him it all, I just prefer Leroy particularly the live shows from his era. What's really amazing is he's playing some of those parts a la Steven Drozd of the lips while playing second guitar to Jeff at the same time. My personal favorite piano moments on Ghost are Handshake and ATLWYS both are which feature Leroy, though Mike is all over Hummingbird.

As for Jay, well listen to YHF and Summerteeth, nuff said.

--Mike

Oh man, Leroy's work in "Handshake Drugs" is especially amazing. There's such a weird, pastoral vibe in it that seems to sum up a lot of AGiB.