http://www.wweek.com/wwire/?p=8347

Jon Krakauer gained fame for his Everest disaster chronicle Into Thin Air, but to my mind his best book was published a year earlier. Into the Wild is a haunting story of human obsession and an implacable environment: similar in mood to Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man, but more profound and a whole lot sadder.

Which is why the trailer for Sean Penn's movie adaptation of Into the Wild is so strange. This is a triumphant trailer, a hopeful trailer, a trailer about discovering yourself. (The book was about discovering yourself likely to be dead.) But hey, at least there's Vince Vaughn and a Sam Beam song.

I loved that book. I bought it for everyone I knew. I don't know that I want to see a dolled up movie about it.

In fact Krakauer's books have been some of my favorite reads over the last 20 years or so. I might have to read Into The Wild again this summer.

Edit: It looks beautiful, though.

I've said this before but Into the Wild is one of those books that pops into my head from time to time, seemingly out of nowhere. Certain "scenes" I've conjured and stored in my memory from it reveal themselves at unusual times. I read the book about five years ago, too, and only once. It's apparently a very memorable read for me.

kind of looks like they morphed a dark tale about an kid who didn't know his ass from his elbow into a hopeful tale of idealism.

What I was afraid of... Hollywood.

The execs may have thought it hard to get people to pay money to see a movie about a delusional hippie starving himself to death.

I read Under the Banner of Heaven a few months ago and it was a good read, as well. He does have a knack for the writing thing, for sure.

what a great (and saddening) book...dont know how i feel about an into the wild movie though

Sean Penn directed the movie - so maybe the actual film will actually be true to the book. I can think of a gazillion trailers that don't represent the movies they advertise at all.....it's so easy to spin those things to make it appeal to the most people possible, which is the goal ultimately.

And the thing is - the guy was a total idealist. I knew people just like him - and hell, half of them now live on a commune in Alaska. So, I can see why part of the movie would reflect this. There are people out there who hate him and people out there who do idolize him. There are classes taught on this guy! I love reading the debates online......

I loved the book and will see the movie.

IIRC, the book -essentially about the movements and thoughts of the young man who purposefully removed himself from society- has one character in it. We get to know him through his diaries. Krakauer did a nice job of shaping the guy through the diaries. Seems like a tough angle to convey in a movie, though.

nah. he's too famous for them now. I haven't heard hide nor hair of him. though for his sake I hope this flick is better than the everest one.

Yeah, he doesn't seem the kind of guy that hangs out in the upper eschelons of the public literary world.

I hope he is knee deep in the natural world somewhere, finding another story to tell.

He may have been an idealist, sure. Was he ever in Boy Scouts?

Under The Banner Of Heaven was published in 2003. Anyone know what he is working on?

Does he still write for Outside?

He probably had to go into hiding from the LDS and the crazy fundamentalists he pissed off, ala Salomon Rushdie.

dcd

His books have not been without controversy. Anatoli Boukree, one of the guides on the expedition and Yoichi Shimatsu, a film maker both refuted parts of Into Thin Air.

I continue to be amazed that after Under The Banner Of Heaven was published that the fundamentalist RLDS church didn't get smited. I still have bad dreams about that book.