Wilco ACL Aftershow Alert

Good news for those of you coming down to Austin for the ACL fest. Every year that Wilco has played the ACL fest, they have also played an additional show (usually the day before their ACL set) which is sponsored by Charles Attal ( the festival promoter for both ACL and Lollapolloza). For the festivals first year (2002) Wilco played a relatively small club called the Mercury Room (now called the Parish Room) as a "secret, private show." I was lucky enough to attend this show (which Tweedy would latter dub, the band's best show ever.) After 2002, Attal began booking festival bands to play "OFFICIAL PRE-SHOW AND AFTER-SHOW PARTY'S" at some of Austin's larger venues such as Stubbs Ampitheatre, La Zona Rosa, and Antones (by far the smallest of the three.) Some of the prior bands to play these shows include: THe Arcade Fire, Lucinda Williams, The Shins, Drive By Truckers, and countless others.

Typically the shows have been announced by now.

Once tickets go on sale, they tend to sell fast (Wilco and Arcade Fire sold out on the first day, two years ago.) However this year I have yet to hear anything but have noted that all three venues (Attal books for said venues thus why they host the bands) have no performances scheduled for the dates of the fest (Sept 14-16).

But I just noted that Dr. Dog is opening for Wilco on all of their Sept dates. I also noted that Dr. Dog is playing an "ACL AFTERPARTY" on Sept 16th. Since Dr. Dog is not scheduled to play the ACL fest, and this coincides with Wilco's scheduled 6:30 time slot on said day, I feel conifident in assuming that Wilco will be headlining this afterparty. Time and location forthcoming. I will post once confirmed.

But I just noted that Dr. Dog is opening for Wilco on all of their Sept dates. I also noted that Dr. Dog is playing an "ACL AFTERPARTY" on Sept 16th. Since Dr. Dog is not scheduled to play the ACL fest, and this coincides with Wilco's scheduled 6:30 time slot on said day, I feel conifident in assuming that Wilco will be headlining this afterparty. Time and location forthcoming. I will post once confirmed.

I'd be surprised if Wilco headlined an aftershow on the same day they're playing the festival. Austin has curfews or noise ordinances or something that limits how late music can go outside. All the places big enough for Wilco to play are outside. No way they could get from the festival to a club in time to headline. Plus, why would they want to? It's gonna be hot and draining. I hope Dr. Dog. plays late enough (inside) that those of us seeing Wilco at the festival can make it to see them.

The rumor is Wilco at Stubb's Saturday and White Stripes and Stubb's Sunday. I have no inside knowledge - plus that would make 6 nights in a row with no break for the boys - but the ACL people have promised to announce the aftershows "before the end of July." Keep checking here: http://www.aclfest.com/aftershows/

These sound like hard tickets to get. I fear they're gonna go on sale next week when I'm out of the country. So someone please remember me as "the reasoned voice of rumors" if you score extra tickets for ACL aftershows.

-Laura

The rumor is Wilco at Stubb's Saturday and White Stripes and Stubb's Sunday. I have no inside knowledge - plus that would make 6 nights in a row with no break for the boys - but the ACL people have promised to announce the aftershows "before the end of July." Keep checking here: http://www.aclfest.com/aftershows/

-Laura

If Wilco plays Saturday night they'll be going against The National again, and we can restart that whole discussion.

The aftershows have been announced and, despite Wilco's blatant absence from the schedule, I'm still holding out hope. I find it...surprising that Stubb's has no one scheduled to play Saturday night. And they've never played the fest without also doing an aftershow. They have a taping scheduled, true, but that hasn't stopped them from also doing a "real" set in the past.

Laura - tickets to aftershows are relatively easy to acquire. They're available through your regular outlets like FrontGate and GetTix. It's tickets for the tapings that are scarce. Good luck. Hope you need it. ;)

The aftershows have been announced and, despite Wilco's blatant absence from the schedule, I'm still holding out hope. I find it...surprising that Stubb's has no one scheduled to play Saturday night. And they've never played the fest without also doing an aftershow. They have a taping scheduled, true, but that hasn't stopped them from also doing a "real" set in the past.

Laura - tickets to aftershows are relatively easy to acquire. They're available through your regular outlets like FrontGate and GetTix. It's tickets for the tapings that are scarce. Good luck. Hope you need it. ;)

I think it's weird there's nobody Saturday at Stubb's, too. I'm PISSED that you need a ticket to the White Stripes to go to the Dr. Dog aftershow Sunday night. THAT is gonna be a hard ticket to get (they are doing a MusicToday presale tho). I plan on seeing Wilco and Dylan at the Fest. Sunday - which would make it hard to be to Stubb's for White Stripes.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for Saturday night.

I think I'll go see The Heartless Bastards at The Parish regardless.

I'm torn between The Heartless Bastards and The National. I'm about to leave the country for a week - you think I'll come back and find either show sold out? I had planned to go two years ago and remember most the aftershows (pretty big ones that year, including Wilco) didn't sell out until they'd been on sale a few weeks.

I'm still ticked about not being able to see Dr. Dog w/out a White Stripes ticket, too. If anyone has an inside on that, PM me. Sucks that they're touring with Wilco but don't get to 1. Play the fest, or 2. Have their own aftershow.

Love the aftershows at ACL, but last year there wasn't anybody I really needed to see (no DBT, Wilco, Neko, Nick Lowe, Lucinda) so I skipped em and found that I enjoyed the Festival itself much more than in the past - didn't feel like I was dying by 6 p.m.

If Wilco plays Saturday night they'll be going against The National again, and we can restart that whole discussion.

Did anyone else notice that in todays Wilco newsletter it mentioned that they will be taping another ACL show (THIRD TIME) the same weekend of the festival? I still am optimistic that Wilco will play SOMEWHERE in Austin on Sat night. They have surprised us before. Summerteeth at Antones in 1999 (wasnt really a surprise) and the "private" show they played at the Mercury Lounge (now the Parish) before the first ACL festival in 2002. Bands love playing unannounced gigs here. Just this past month we have had both Gomez and The Decemberists play very intimate, low profile shows.

Well, I hope they end up playing sometime ACL weekend besides the festival on sunday, but it is seems highly unlikely, so I went ahead and bought tickets to their dallas show friday night.

So far my ACL weekend looks like Spoon Thursday night, Wilco Friday night in Dallas, Queens of the Stone Age Saturday, and the White Stripes Sunday night.

Well, I hope they end up playing sometime ACL weekend besides the festival on sunday, but it is seems highly unlikely, so I went ahead and bought tickets to their dallas show friday night.

So far my ACL weekend looks like Spoon Thursday night, Wilco Friday night in Dallas, Queens of the Stone Age Saturday, and the White Stripes Sunday night.

No YLT Monday? At the Parish, no less. Couldn't pay me to stay away... Oh, and I hope you got yr White Stripes ticket - sold out already! That's the first

yeah, i was lucky but i got all the tickets i wanted. The White Stripes sell out was ridiculous, but that is a steal of a show for $40. I have never seen a sell out as fast either.

I didn't realize Yo La Tengo is playing Monday, maybe I will go to that if I'm not tired. I don't know how 4 nights plus the festival is going to be ...

Hi, Ian. Welcome aboard.

Any news on Wilco filling that Saturday Stubb's vacancy?

I'm sure this thread will be abuzz once anything is confirmed or...disconfirmed.

And how do you get tickets for ACL tapings?

Here

Any way to get updates on a cell phone about either?

Here

that'd be tight, I'd say.

stubbs had early noise curfew, sunday night won't help that.

with traffic and such, I'd give myself a half hour from the front of the festival gate to get to Stubbs via car. it's a ten minute drive. but I'd still give myself a half hour, and that's if I had somebody picking me up/or a cab to do it (regular cars won't be able to come to the front gate to pick you up, you'll have to leave the park to catch your ride and the cabs line is in congested part of the park, by the springs).

but I'd see the cold war kids over the decemberists, anyway.

that'd be tight, I'd say.

stubbs had early noise curfew, sunday night won't help that.

with traffic and such, I'd give myself a half hour from the front of the festival gate to get to Stubbs via car. it's a ten minute drive. but I'd still give myself a half hour, and that's if I had somebody picking me up/or a cab to do it (regular cars won't be able to come to the front gate to pick you up, you'll have to leave the park to catch your ride and the cabs line is in congested part of the park, by the springs).

but I'd see the cold war kids over the decemberists, anyway.

Maybe we should just pack our bicycles. Would that make the weekend easier?

Maybe we should just pack our bicycles. Would that make the weekend easier?

for that commute it would be perfect, bike racks are right across from main gate. figure 20 minutes on bike to stubbs. and if you're not bringing coolers/chairs, it's a great way to do the festival, making the commute to and from, a breeze.

for that commute it would be perfect, bike racks are right across from main gate. figure 20 minutes on bike to stubbs. and if you're not bringing coolers/chairs, it's a great way to do the festival, making the commute to and from, a breeze.

I hadn't thought about chairs. Are they common and/or necessary to enjoy the festival? I figure we will get tired of standing for sure.