Millenium Park lawn-is it any good?

I bought a lawn ticket this morning for the Millenium Park show. Anyone know what the view from the lawn is like? I know the Wilco Web site says "listening only". Oh, well, I'll pay $19 ($10 plus fees) to hear them live.

I bought a lawn ticket this morning for the Millenium Park show. Anyone know what the view from the lawn is like? I know the Wilco Web site says "listening only". Oh, well, I'll pay $19 ($10 plus fees) to hear them live.

The front third or so of the lawn has a view of the stage. The rest only has a view of Frank Gehry's potato chips and the city skyline. (Why the brilliant minds behind Millenium Park couldn't or wouldn't slope the lawn , I'll never know.)

Guest Jules
The front third or so of the lawn has a view of the stage. The rest only has a view of Frank Gehry's potato chips and the city skyline. (Why the brilliant minds behind Millenium Park couldn't or wouldn't slope the lawn , I'll never know.)

It wasn't built to be a rock concert venue. They were more concerned with the architecture and sound quality, as well as blending in with the whole area. The vast majority of performances there are classical music.

It wasn't built to be a rock concert venue. They were more concerned with the architecture and sound quality, as well as blending in with the whole area. The vast majority of performances there are classical music.

I agree they were concerned with sound quality, but a low percentage slope could have been integrated into the lawn. Architecturally, the original plans were much simpler and would have blended much better. And while many of the performances are classical, the structure was always intended for multiple music formats with recent examples being the Decemberists and the Gospel Music Festival. (Also, apropos of nothing, Ozomatli is playing a couple of days after Wilco.)

Plus, slope = the chance of people rolling down and getting hurt (and suing the city).

When I was there for the Decemberists show last week, we were at the very front of the lawn and it was ok. But there is a lot of lawn, if you are in the back, you can't see a thing. Also, we coudn't hear any bass at all there, which really sucked. Sounded like we were listening to the band through really crappy computer speakers, all hi-freqs.

When I was there for the Decemberists show last week, we were at the very front of the lawn and it was ok. But there is a lot of lawn, if you are in the back, you can't see a thing. Also, we coudn't hear any bass at all there, which really sucked. Sounded like we were listening to the band through really crappy computer speakers, all hi-freqs.

But that had a lot to do with the orchestra drowning out other members of the band. It was really hard to hear any guitar, organ, or bass from where we were at (back of the pavillion).

But that had a lot to do with the orchestra drowning out other members of the band. It was really hard to hear any guitar, organ, or bass from where we were at (back of the pavillion).

Yeah, that's the only show I've seen there, so that really could be the case. Even during the encore though, the sound wasn't terricfic. The dancing guys acting out all the lyrics were pretty sweet though...

Yeah, that's the only show I've seen there, so that really could be the case. Even during the encore though, the sound wasn't terricfic. The dancing guys acting out all the lyrics were pretty sweet though...

The look on the face of Ron Magers (the anchor for Channel 7 news) when he walked past those guys was priceless.

Plus, slope = the chance of people rolling down and getting hurt (and suing the city).
:lol :lol

Does anyone know how the pavillion (reserved) seats are configured? I can't find a seating chart anywhere and have never been there. Are there bad seats in the Pavillion?
There are a few somewhat bad seats, but not many. It is not so deep, but it is very broad along a large stage and out to the sides. Frankly this is an okay venue.

As far as sound, it should be excellent considering it has a big soundboard, lots of speakers over the lawn , designed by Frank Gehry and cost a billion fucking dollars.

LouieB

I was at the library today and noticed a big book all about Millennium Park. There are some great photos of the lawn and pavilion, which I'll try to scan perhaps tomorrow. But to answer your question:

But Gehry's search for an intimate setting was partly stymied by timing. When he started the pavilion design, the footings for the underground parking garage were already installed. Gehry quickly realized that the sight lines presented problems, because the flat rake of the stage was roughly the same elevation as the rear of the lawn. Gehry suggested raising the lawn's slope, but the cost to "tip" the lawn was a prohibitive $6 million. A compromise was reached in which the 4,000 permanent seats enjoy good sight lines, while those on the lawn have few unobstructed views. Gehry partly resolved the sight-line problem by enlarging the stage. Past experience with the Hollywood Bowl convinced Gehry that small stages at outdoor venues make the performance spaces look even smaller for those sitting in the rear. Enlarging the stage, he hoped, would give it more presence and intimacy, especially to those sitting on the lawn.

There's a lot more cool stuff about the acoustics and design, too. Gehry's inspiration was Vermeer's Woman with a Water Jug.