Just heard this on the news this morning, absolutely gutted. I knew he was fighting cancer, but I thought he had the upper hand.

A real shame - he'd even been back DJing on XFM in Manchester and was great, still really enthusiastic over new bands and artists.

Very sad to hear this news, I recently bought both the movie and the book, 24 Hour Party People, and read the book while on vacation this week. Very funny guy and his influence on my music collection is immeasurable.

--Mike

wow 24 hour party people was just on TV last night.

I know that Steve Coogan supposedly based Alan Partridge on Wilson, but as a North American, it is Coogan I think of when Wilson's name is mentioned:

Genius. Poet. Twat.

'It's a pity you didn't sign the Smiths, but you were right about Mick Hucknell. His music's rubbish, and he's a ginger.'

Rip Tony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5ChNf3Z1c

Love You tube for making all this stuff available to reminisce with.

Great clips- thanks for posting them.

One of the great things about Tony was the way he stayed in the north (or rather returned after college) and made it all happen there. To have big dreams and realise them at that place and time I reckon you had to have a really thick skin and a lot of blind self-belief and brass neck. Inevitable then that he often seemed/was a pretentious twat - maybe only one of that ilk could have made it all happen in the glorious way it did........ and also make such spectacular cock ups too.

(For me Steve Coogan will always be Paul/ine Calf.)