Califone Aug 11, Chicago at West Fest

So I went to West Fest yesterday and saw Califone. They were pretty good, but were not as good as other times I have seen them. The whole band seemed a little weary, but who knows, that was just my observation. But I was really closed to the stage, which allowed me to get a really close view on watching Ben Massarella. Joe Adamik and him were astounding to me because they really thought about the song as a whole rather than adding their own special licks. Moreover, Ben's different uses of objects as percussions was also cool.

But from what I remember here are some of the songs they played (not in order):

When Leon Sphinx Moved Into Town

Michigan Girls

Pink And Sour

Spider's House

The Eye You Lost In the Crusades

The Orchids

(and there are more songs since they played for about an hour, but I can't recollect from my memory what else they played).

On a side note: I got there two performers before Califone went on and I saw Billy Dolan and the trio he had. The drummer was John Herndon from Tortoise, and the trio was very good. And I also saw Bobby Conn, and he was good, but it was not really my kind of taste.

Thanks for your review! I was planning on going but the heat and the 7 hours in a car and the gas $ and the Chicago traffic and parking all seemed overwhelming when the moment came to leave my house, and so I stayed home and watched the DVD documentary about the life of professional rodeo riders to which Tim Rutili contributed work on the soundtrack (very enjoyable, by the way, but a small consolation to missing a Califone performance). I agree wholeheartedly that watching the two percussionists interplay is fascinating, one of my favorite things as well. I'll be certain to watch for the as-net-unannounced shows in the future that Owl mentioned in the other thread.

Thanks for the writeup! Did a lot of people check out the Califone set?

I would say about a hundered or two hundered, but some could have been waiting to see The Ponys because they were next. The crowd was weird because-expect for two people-I was the only one next to the stage. It seemed like people were afraid that the stage would shock them.

But all in all, I still enjoyed them, and I hope they play again sometime in Chicago when I am back in town from college.

Local H rocked it.

Their set:

Michelle

BMW Man

Buffalo Trace

Them's Fighting Words

Fine and Good

Hey Rita

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Bloodstains (Agent Orange cover)

That's What They All Say

Fritz's Corner

All Right, Oh Yeah

Bound for the Floor

Hands on the Bible

All the Kids Are Right

California Songs

May be missing some. Not in that order.

localhscott.jpg

And a couple vids of new tracks Michelle and BMW Man

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=FE12410607CF4066

• 2 weeks later...

Robert, do you need a care package? or some links for downloading?

Or maybe you should just get in your car and go here for the reeeeeeal thing: ;)

Califone:

09/01/07 - Halleluwah Festival at Holocene - Portland, OR