Loved A Pagan Place and This Is The Sea when I bought them after seeing the Waterboys open for U2 at Radio City Music Hall (1984? 85?), and when Fisherman's Blues came out, it seemed such a departure from the previous albums... so folky! it grew on me fast, and it's now the definitive Waterboys' album for me, but A Pagan Place and This Is the Sea will always hold a special place... more of a U2-ish sound as mentioned, but hinting at what was to come. "The Whole of the Moon" (on This Is the Sea) is exquisite.

Loved A Pagan Place and This Is The Sea when I bought them after seeing the Waterboys open for U2 at Radio City Music Hall (1984? 85?), and when Fisherman's Blues came out, it seemed such a departure from the previous albums... so folky! it grew on me fast, and it's now the definitive Waterboys' album for me, but A Pagan Place and This Is the Sea will always hold a special place... more of a U2-ish sound as mentioned, but hinting at what was to come. "The Whole of the Moon" (on This Is the Sea) is exquisite.

Go get "The Live Adventures Of The Waterboys", a 2 cd comp of live tracks from 1986 and you'll see that back then they were the greatest live band of that era! There have been a ton of excellent live shows up on Dime recently too.

The new record is absolutely terrible though.