Newslang:

In your summary you wrote it would be a 30 minute show. How do you know that it's a 30 minute show, and not an hour long show. They played for an 1 1/2. That would be plenty for the hour long show.

The cameraman mentioned something about 44 minutes of performance. I actually ran into him on the street a few hours after the show and he said that the initial playbacks looked fantastic.

the show is almost never a solid hour from one band. they almost always split it up between 2 bands. however, ACL loves wilco so it's not out of the realm of possibility for them to give wilco the full hour. we'll see!

Lots to remember about our experience getting those coveted free tickets.

We were standing at the Festival at 7:10 watching Spoon and decided to make our move. 2 buddies were gonna meet us near the UT Campus. The most popular thought amongst the 4 of us was to place ourselves at The Hole In The Wall. We bought a portable radio earlier and by 8 PM we were finally at our vehichle. Had to be a mile and a half at least. Our wives went back to the hotel to hang with the other girls after dropping us off on Guadalupe. I asked a lady where the Communications Bldg was and she pointed across the street. it looked as if there were only 3 people in line. We didn't know until later that there were 50 more around the side. Just then our friends pull up - station tuned! We hop in and make a block to park. They announce about halfway around and we blast into a conveniently open space.

We bailed like bandits - out and across mid Guadalupe traffic as if they had decided instead to give away million dollar bills. For those who care to know, Tweedling is very fast!!!!!!! Tweed and I made it across, but just barely. Dobber & Cam had to stop. I'm sure it was quite a site. Around the corner and Cha-Ching!!!! We got 2 tickets each with only 10 left BEFORE 9 PM!

And suddenly, they were all gone. We were sooooo lucky.

The next day, i took a cab at 7AM to the same bldg. There was nobody there! :yay

I sat and read the paper, spreading myself as wide as possible. Since I had never done this, I didn't know what protocal was. As I paced around, a woman came out of the entrance. I asked if this was the right place. she replied that she didn't know, she and her husband were just the truck drivers that deliver Wilco's gear!!! :dancing We talked for quite a while. Seems they used to drive for some pop country acts and felt that teaming up with Wilco was the best decision of their careers. We talked about the band and luckily i was without a lighter, so she retrieved some matches from the cab of the truck for me. She was too sweet. She had 4 :kitty in that thing!!!

We talked some more and of course i offered to help unload. Afterward I went back and sat at the table and watched her park the rig below. It wasn't until 8:30 or so that someone else showed up. I called Tweedling to see if he was on his way and within a few minutes he arrived as #3. Others followed from our group and the line began to creep around the building. Getting there early allows for more shade not to mention a better chance at getting in. Things were looking good!

Over the course we saw the band arrive as seen in the previous photos, got our numbers to save our spots and then headed over to The Hole In The wall for drinks. On the way I snapped the shot of Granny and her man. He was a little frisky for the picture :heehee

We have a drink and get some pizza and none other than Pat Sansone walks right by us. Tweedling said Hi and I foolishly fumbled for the camera i had put in the car after the drinks. We get back in line for the show and around 3:45 they start letting us in.

By now I am losing my mind

(to be continued)

Glad to see you guys checked out the Hole in The Wall. Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, it really is the perfect place to run into some of the artists taping across the street. Too bad Jeff is off the sauce, cause you coulda been buying him shots at the bar. :thumbup I spent many a day in that bar while going to school across the street. Those were some of the best days of my life.

My ACL show pics (about half of which are Wilco pics):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raveller/sets...57602100189051/

Freakin' ban list had "detachable lens" on it so I left the telephoto at home. I'm a moron: they barely searched our bags and I saw 5 zillion (ok 3-4) detachable lens camera running around without press passes. The screen shots are pretty neat though sort of stealing the videographers work though.

My ACL show pics (about half of which are Wilco pics):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raveller/sets...57602100189051/

Freakin' ban list had "detachable lens" on it so I left the telephoto at home. I'm a moron: they barely searched our bags and I saw 5 zillion (ok 3-4) detachable lens camera running around without press passes. The screen shots are pretty neat though sort of stealing the videographers work though.

Well I had my SLR rig cause I had a press pass, though no photo pass - that only got you into the pit. But no, it wouldn't have been hard to get an SLR and a couple lenses into the show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...