new Ray Davies - Working Man's Cafe

• 2 weeks later...

source

Kinks singer in CD giveaway deal

Ray Davies

The newspaper website is also offering a free single to download

Former Kinks singer Ray Davies has agreed a deal to give away his new album Working Man's Cafe with the Sunday Times newspaper.

The promotion follows a similar deal in which The Mail on Sunday gave away free copies of Prince's latest CD.

Davies said he was "truly excited that 1.5 million copies will be distributed to people who'll hear it organically... the way it was intended".

The album will come free with the UK newspaper on 21 October.

In addition, Vietnam Cowboys, a track from the album, will be available as a free download on the newspaper's website from this Sunday.

'Reaching out'

"It's an exciting opportunity I couldn't resist," Davies said. "Personally, it's about reaching as many people as possible."

It is the latest venture in an era where artists are increasingly finding new ways to release their music.

Earlier this week, Radiohead launched their new album In Rainbows via their own website and asked fans to decide how much to pay for it.

The Charlatans will let fans download their forthcoming new album for free from the website of radio station Xfm.

The new album is going to be given away with the Times next weekend I believe... I still won't buy the Times though...

And I still don't live in Englandland.

:stunned

But I will check out the tunes on MySpace.

Oh, and I liked the last album, but wasn't as blown away by it as I hoped that I would be.

Ray Davies irons out the kinks

Ten years on, Ray Davies has fulfilled his solo promise. He talks about his new album, which comes free with The Sunday Times today

Every other summer for the past six years, Ray Davies has held a residential course in songwriting for the Arvon creative-writing foundation.