Telecasters: tell me everything

Doubt it. As an acoustic player I'm assuming the radius/width isn't the problem for you. Is it the shape and profile; (C-D shape?).

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I hear this stuff mentioned all the time, and I am not totally sure what it refers to.

The uncomfortableness doesn't stem from the shape of the guitar itself, but how my fingers feel on the fingerboard. Playing an American Tele feels fantastic, it's like playing a stick of butter with spaghetti noodles. It feels warm, fantastic.

Playing this guitar makes me fingertips burn, like they do when I play cheaper Squiers. The finish on the neck itself is OK. It's not as bad as the plasticy finish I've seen on some Squiers, but not as nice as the Americans.

PS Thanks for the compliments! The "decal" on the neck is actually a drawing the previous owner made in Permanent market. I really dig it as well!

It really sucks that Fender USA stopped selling replacement necks, that's what I did to upgrade my Mexican Tele. Put the instrument in a whole new league.

If you do go the aftermarket route (I hear Warmoth makes good Fender replacement necks), you make want to try a flatter neck radius - less buzz, lower action. Besides that, I'll bet part of the buzz problem is the 9's - that's way too light of a gauge, especially for that type of neck (probably contributes to the intonation problem as well).

BTW - nice finish, Midnight Wine. It does amazing things when stage lights hit it a certain way.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I hear this stuff mentioned all the time, and I am not totally sure what it refers to.

The uncomfortableness doesn't stem from the shape of the guitar itself, but how my fingers feel on the fingerboard. Playing an American Tele feels fantastic, it's like playing a stick of butter with spaghetti noodles. It feels warm, fantastic.

Playing this guitar makes me fingertips burn, like they do when I play cheaper Squiers. The finish on the neck itself is OK. It's not as bad as the plasticy finish I've seen on some Squiers, but not as nice as the Americans.

PS Thanks for the compliments! The "decal" on the neck is actually a drawing the previous owner made in Permanent market. I really dig it as well!

Radius is basically the shape of the fret board and "depending" on the style of the radius the nut and the bridge will reflect this shame shape.

This may be the issue your having w/this neck.

A good explination on all things fretboard

Neck profilfe is basically the contoured shape of the back of the neck. Styles vary but popular/ubiquitous examples would be those that mimic the shapes of the letters "D"; ( Flat on approac to the fingerboard) "C"; (Slightly turns in towards the fingerboard) and "V"; ( High center, shaved sides ).

If you do go the aftermarket route (I hear Warmoth makes good Fender replacement necks), you make want to try a flatter neck radius - less buzz, lower action. Besides that, I'll bet part of the buzz problem is the 9's - that's way too light of a gauge, especially for that type of neck (probably contributes to the intonation problem as well).

This is all right on the money. He/she is pointing you in the right direction here.

Besides that, I'll bet part of the buzz problem is the 9's - that's way too light of a gauge, especially for that type of neck (probably contributes to the intonation problem as well).

Balls, I wish I had heard about this sooner.

OK, after doing some research, I've come to the conclusion don't have any problems with the C-shaped neck at all. That part of the next doesn't really make a difference for me, it doesn't even come into serious consideration, I think I'd be fine with any reasonable shape. However, I do prefer the wider nut width (am I using this term correctly?) on the Highway 1 teles.

Sigh, I'm really tempted to just sell this guitar, and get a highway 1. It's the one I lust after.

Besides that, I'll bet part of the buzz problem is the 9's - that's way too light of a gauge, especially for that type of neck (probably contributes to the intonation problem as well).

Ah, I see. The 9s are a little squiggly under my fingers as well, I'm used to bigger gauges. Do you recommend 10s or 11s for this type of neck?

Sucks that I just paid to get it setup with 9s. I don't really want to pay again. But, at this point (after watching the tech do it, and having him do the major work), I'm guessing I could get it decent myself.

Feh, I just want to get home and play the damn thing some more.

Do you recommend 10s or 11s for this type of neck?

I'm currently using 10s on all my electrics, but I used to go higher in my youth - 11s, even 12s at one point. But I'm mainly a rhythm player, so I have the luxury of going for tone over speed.

That Tele can take any kind of set you put on it, but if you go much higher you may need to tighten up the truss rod a touch (as outlined in that Fender link earlier). Try a set of 10s - the neck will barely feel the difference, but you'll notice a nice bump in the sound. At least you'll be able to feel the strings under your fingers. :thumbup

That Tele can take any kind of set you put on it, but if you go much higher you may need to tighten up the truss rod a touch (as outlined in that Fender link earlier). Try a set of 10s - the neck will barely feel the difference, but you'll notice a nice bump in the sound. At least you'll be able to feel the strings under your fingers. :thumbup

Thanks, I will try that!