Zen and the Art of Dumpster Diving

We have discussed duZen Buddhist Temple in Ann Arbor, Michigan mpster diving before; one person's garbage is another person's useful stuff, and we are so quick to throw things away. According to Andrew Revkin, a has taken it up as a method of raising money for the temple, and for spiritual reasons- According to Andrew Revkin, a Zen Buddhist Temple in Ann Arbor, Michigan priest at the Ann Arbor temple,explained that Dumpster diving is actually a modern variant of an ancient tradition by which Buddhist

There was a good-sized TV next to our apartment dumpster with a remote and note reading "works" taped to it. We didn't take it because we have no room/use for another TV, but I've retrieved an office chair and a rocking chair from the dumpster. My father once told me that scavenging is an ancient and noble art.

I know some people who use to make some money selling back textbooks at the end of the semester - by finding them in the various garbage piles that spring up here every May. The university put the brakes on that though - you can't sell textbooks back without a student ID now. It is amazing to me what the kids leave behind on their way out of town.

we got a lovely sofa with a pull out bed out of the dumpster when I was living in STL - hauled it to Chicago - but it wouldn't fit up the stairs of our apartment building. So, we left it on the sidewalk. It was gone within an hour.

Funny thing, a year later when we moving apartments again, we saw that same sofa back on the sidewalk - but totally torn up and a mess. Bummer :(

There have been times in my life that most of my sustenance came from dumpsters - clothes, food, etc......one year, my friends and I even found a Christmas tree (a few days before Xmas) laid out in the trash. We hauled it home and set it up in a brick and decorated it with cans. And that same year, our house got broken into (the only thing of value we had was a TV and it was taken) but they climbed in a window on an old kooshy chair that I am sure was from a dumpster somewhere. We were pissed about being broken into - but we brought the chair into the house and got good use out of it. :)

it's amazing what one will do when one is hungry.....though beware of things with mayo in dumpsters. In other words, don't risk it......bad bad things can happen. :yucky

Oh, I have ate out the trash and taken leftover food off of tables in fast food places. That was back in the bad old good old days.

I just could not go for someone's couch being in my place.