I just got back from seeing Beowulf and it wasn't too bad of a flick. The first portion is all animation and it got kind of annoying. The animation itself was good but it human motion seemed to be a bit slow. Although I will say that some of the stuff they do would probably be difficult with real action. As the story goes on it incorporates more and more actual images and at times it goes in an out of the 2 styles pretty seamlessly.Thee were even a couple of times where it was hard to tell which style the actor was in. Once this happens the story gets a bit more interesting and doesn't drag so much. Overall I thought it was a good movie and especially recommend it if you are into film making or special effects.

Saw it last night. Thought it was pretty cool. We saw the 3D version so it made it really cool. I need to figure out where the hell I've seen the guy that played Wiglaf at before... do you guys know right off hand what else he's been in?

edit- man, i lost that bet. my bf said it was mad eye moody...he was right. damn.

I read the Seamus Heaney translation in preparation for this movie....

LouieB

One of my college Brit Lit professors was obsessed with Seamus Heaney.

Can't go wrong with Seamus Heaney. I read his translation a few years ago, I may need to dust it off before seeing this.

I didn't realize it was a blend of animation and live action. Sounds interesting.

We went to see Seamus Heaney give a reading a few years ago. We expected to be part of a small crowd, but they filled Rackham Auditorium on the U-M campus, and people were standing all around the back. That was pretty cool.

We went to see Seamus Heaney give a reading a few years ago. We expected to be part of a small crowd, but they filled Rackham Auditorium on the U-M campus, and people were standing all around the back. That was pretty cool.

Seamus Heaney is tight with one of the English profs at U-M, as I recall - I can't remember who, though. (I've burned a lot of brain cells since my undergrad days.)

As for Beowulf, even though my man Neil Gaiman co-wrote the script, that weird animation style looks really annoying, so I think I'll give it a miss. :hmm