courage needed for first wilco show

I'm flying to Chicago to see Jeff's solo show....solo.

I have 2 tickets in case I decide to invite someone else, but if not I'll be fine alone.

There's nothing like sharing something wonderful with someone who shares your joy. The pleasure of the experience seems to grow exponentially......but wouldn't you rather be alone at the concert than alone at home? Enjoy!

I am a 48 year old man with two teenage kids.

I rarely attend concert anymore (make exceptions for Springsteen).

I am reposting this as I think you might find it of interest.

you first posted this shortly after i came to this board -- i loved it then and i love it now, thank you for reposting!

your story is 100% engaging, witty, inspirational in many ways. one is that i'm with ya re: claustrophobia, i have the same.

it's so great that you included it in your write-up and makes me believe that if you can do it, so can i. from what you wrote and

everyone else is saying, a wilco show is more than worth dealing with a fear or two to get there, and i'm finding that pretty easy

to believe.

by the way, you have a lucky son.

I'm flying to Chicago to see Jeff's solo show....solo.

I have 2 tickets in case I decide to invite someone else, but if not I'll be fine alone.

There's nothing like sharing something wonderful with someone who shares your joy. The pleasure of the experience seems to grow exponentially......but wouldn't you rather be alone at the concert than alone at home? Enjoy!

thanks, yes, i too would rather go alone to the concert, and also in this way: no one i'm close to gets jeff or wilco at all, whereas i'm an addict.

after thinking about it more, i'm not going to drag one of them there and then worry about whether she's having a good enough time. (there's

a show-wrecker for ya!)

And she's not EXACTLY going alone...WE'LL be with her!!! :D

that's right -- no way will it feel like walking into a theater full of strangers or, say, serial killers!

i'm still going to pm you, after i actually get a ticket and figure out what's what logistically.

i'm still going to pm you, after i actually get a ticket and figure out what's what logistically.

No worries, we've got two months to go.

I'm glad to read this thread. My daughter turns 9 in February, and has been asking to go to a concert -- any concert. So yesterday I scored 3 tix for New Haven (center orchestra) and she'll be celebrating her 9th birthday with Wilco. I figure it's a great band to start with, and someday will impress the hell out of her own kids and grandkids.

I'm glad to read this thread. My daughter turns 9 in February, and has been asking to go to a concert -- any concert. So yesterday I scored 3 tix for New Haven (center orchestra) and she'll be celebrating her 9th birthday with Wilco. I figure it's a great band to start with, and someday will impress the hell out of her own kids and grandkids.

Excellent strategy, clumber! I'm hoping for another Pines Theater gig this summer to take my kids to! See you in New Haven!

wow, you all knock my sox off! thank you so much for your encouragement and info.

it makes all the difference: i am going! will try once more to get my friend to go too, but

if she can't i'm still getting myself a ticket tomorrow morning.

ww, i'll pm you either way -- thanks.

Dood you should definitely go! Don't worry about what other people think and/or how old you are. I go to shows all the time and there are always older people there, in their 60s, etc.

I am a plain looking 32 yr old and saw Vetiver and Vashti Bunyan by myself in DC and I stood out like a sore thumb amidst the sea of unwashed hair and vintage winter coats from the 80s (yes, with the corduroy highlights on the shoulders!). No one cares, and of they do, that is their problem.

Also, as everyone has said the Wilco crowd is very, very diverse, polite, and friendly. You just can't go wrong.