Chicago Art Galleries

So we go up to Chicago for occasional Tweedy/Wilco performances (probably not this winter cause we're broke at ticket time), but it's always kind of a hit-and-run thing, and I was thinking, if I got a show at a gallery up there, or representation or whatnot, we'd have an excuse to stick around and enjoy Chicago a bit.

So my request it, does anyone know of some galleries in Chicago that might be a good fit for my work?

I guess I should have better avenues to this kind of information, but I've always been better at making art than networking and being organized, etc.

Anyone?

I used to run an art gallery in West Town - and your work would be lovely there. However, only submissions from the Chicago area make it into the jury pool.

Chicago has an Artist's Month in October and along with it they put out a great gallery guide. I was thinking it might be a good start for looking into names, places, etc.

Chicago Artist's Month

I haven't taken a very deep look at the site - so, it may not have everything you are looking for. But, you might be able to contact them for this years catalog. It's not much, but I hope it helps give you a place from which to leap. Good luck!

If you like, I could try and put you in touch with some local artists, whose work I like, and they might have some ideas. I met some fabulous artists while working with the gallery. Or, I could put you in touch with the woman who runs the gallery now, and she may have some ideas.

Guest David Puddy

i can't help you with your question, but i just checked out your site. good stuff. if i had more than $0.35 to my name, i'd considering buying something sometime. i really liked "If You're Going To Berea".

I can't recommend a gallery appropriate for your work but a good place to go for info on Chicago art galleries is:

http://www.chicagogallerynews.com/

They provide links to gallery web sites so you can check out what artists/types of work they represent. In general I'd say the River North area galleries represent more established/conservative work. The West Loop and North/Bucktown/Wicker galleries show more up and coming contemporary work.