I dont know if this is bad etiquette, but I fear that it may be. If it is, please let me know and I will delete the thread. So many folks on here are just so generous with tabs, etc that I figured it'd be worth a shot to ask about tabs by a different band.

Anyway, I have been trying to figure out Tom Courtenay by Yo La Tengo and I have found two atrocious tabs online (well, 100 versions of the same two tabs to be more accurate). The best one that I've seen is pretty close -- it has the verses as A, C#, F#m, E (and it adds a D chord at the end of the run for the chorus).

That sounds close, but just not right to me -- especially the C#. Then, I found this pretty great video online (I was actually at this show) and I have no idea what Ira is doing here:

Also, anyone who listens to the song knows that its not just straight power chords anyway. Anyone have any pointers? Or any thougths on YLT songs in general? I have a virtually impossible time figuring out what the heck Ira is doing. Cherry Chapstick? Forget it. Should Have Known Better? Forget it. Are they in crazy tunings? Am I an idiot?

The web is suffering from a paucity of YLT tabs and I have been trying to change that in my own small way. It's not working so far. I will be the best friend of someone who can help me figure out some cool YLT tunes. And I will delete this if its inappropriate. Thanks in advance everyone.

Well, judging from the video, it looks like he spends most of his time playing something above the 12th fret. It doesn't look like he's actually following the chords in the some, so much as making a "sonic landscape" for the rest of the instruments or somesuch.

I'm assuming you're going to try this out on solo guitar. Try strumming along to the song using A, C#m, F#m, and E. Listen to the bassist for the changes.

Well, judging from the video, it looks like he spends most of his time playing something above the 12th fret. It doesn't look like he's actually following the chords in the some, so much as making a "sonic landscape" for the rest of the instruments or somesuch.

I'm assuming you're going to try this out on solo guitar. Try strumming along to the song using A, C#m, F#m, and E. Listen to the bassist for the changes.

Yeah thanks for the help Groo. Seems like the C#m is right - or at least closer. I don't know if he's inverting the chords, or its a tone thing, or just that he's an amazing guitarist and I'm not. :)

I have no idea why YLT songs are so tough - they sound so easy.

I always thought of that chord as a C#min7 or even a Aadd9/C#. I know this isn't how he plays it but I play it for solo guitar something like this:

e-(0)----------(0)-----------------------------------------

B--0------------0----------------------------------------

G--4------------9---------------------------------------

D--2------------7-------------------------------------------

A--4------------x-------------------------------------------

E---------------9--------------------------------------

I always thought of that chord as a C#min7 or even a Aadd9/C#. I know this isn't how he plays it but I play it for solo guitar something like this:

e-(0)----------(0)-----------------------------------------

B--0------------0----------------------------------------

G--4------------9---------------------------------------

D--2------------7-------------------------------------------

A--4------------x-------------------------------------------

E---------------9--------------------------------------

Hey - thanks. This looks awesome -- I will definitely try that out. Any other tips for how you play it? I know he isn't just playing those chords. It seems like he is hammering on other notes throughout all the chord changes, right?

Hey - thanks. This looks awesome -- I will definitely try that out. Any other tips for how you play it? I know he isn't just playing those chords. It seems like he is hammering on other notes throughout all the chord changes, right?

I haven't played this in a long time but definitely some hammerons. The most important being the first A chord starts w/ a hammer on from a b to a c#. I've never gotten this song to sound right and last time I checked I couldn't find much help anywhere so whenever I play around with it I usually try something different. Still haven't been able to look at that video yet though (damn work) but that might help.

I haven't played this in a long time but definitely some hammerons. The most important being the first A chord starts w/ a hammer on from a b to a c#. I've never gotten this song to sound right and last time I checked I couldn't find much help anywhere so whenever I play around with it I usually try something different. Still haven't been able to look at that video yet though (damn work) but that might help.

Well, I guess I feel a bit better that I am not the only one scratching my head over this tune. Oh well. I will try to mess around with different hammer-ons and see what happens. If I figure anything out, I will let you know. You might want to check out the video -- it's definitely cool -- although it is making the whole process of figuring out this song even more frustrating. Since now I can SEE what he is doing and still can't figure out what the heck he is doing. :lol