The Claim: Never Drink Hot Water From the Tap

True story. I am an environmental geologist and I have to take lead-in-drinking water samples from many residential properties I work on. The real risk is from older homes with old pipes. The problem isn't usually the pipes, but the solder used to connect said pipes. If you are worried about lead in your water the simple answer is to run your tap for at least a minute before drinking or using for cooking - this flushes out the high lead that concentrates over night when the water sits in the pipes. Or simply get a Brita or Pure type water filter which removes 99% of lead when used properly.

warning people about not drinking hot water out the taps is a bit like telling people to not lick windows on the short bus - those people most likely to do that sort of thing aren't going to listen to warnings. why would anyone who has a choice do this?

this is what i was thinking too

why? the water isn't going to be as hot as a kettle when boiled, so it's still going to take a while for the water to heat up, just as it would if you used the cold tap. did you think that the hot water is pumped directly into your house then? as opposed to sitting in a tank and heating up (and apparently collecting lead traces etc...)