Yeah. I use a AC15 tbr. (British made)

It's the best amp I've played. Worth updating the valves though. I tried the AC30 and it was just too big, too loud. AC15 is warm and clean and breaks up at the right point. Loves decent pedals.

Also have a 1965 AC10 twin for recording. You have to have it all the way up to achieve the tone - but it's hands down the most interactive dirty tone out there. Doesn't need a pedal. Can't gig with it because it tends to eat valves.

just looked up the AC10... looks like a great little amp. Might look into getting one for recording tasty overdrive if i ever get enough money to buy lots of amps haha.

i couldn't agree with your assessment of the AC15 more. i've had it for about a week now and its appeal only grows. i've been using it clean only, because i have a route 66 american overdrive that happens to push my tone into the amp's natural drive perfectly. it sounds almost like ryan adams or early wilco. and a TS9 that pushes it ALL THE WAY over the edge, into the realm of chunk. this sounds like neil young... or the most distorted of the Beatles or something. seriously, this amp ADORES pedals. which is great for me. i gots me some pedals indeed.

as for the valves... what would you suggest upgrading to? this is my first all-tube amp, and i'm new to the whole world of them. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

I once had a (fairly long) conversation about Vox amps with Jeff. He's obviously a fan of the JMI point-to-point wired stuff. Last time I saw Wilco I think he had an AC30 head and some kind of Vox cab.

Anyway, are you US or UK based?

Whatever, there's a good store online called Watford Valves. They can give decent advice. His replies to emails tend to be a little abrupt (!) but helpful.

From memory the AC15 is normally fitted with stock chinese tubes. Some valve retailers now sell upgraded tubes that have been cryogenically frozen which supposedly improves the tube life and tone.

Better than that is to go for NOS (New old stock) supplies of Mullards IF you can get them.

The AC10 needs a weird tube (can't recall the type off the top of my head) that sounds best with an NOS RCA tube. Very hard to get hold of.

What speaker do you have in the 15? Celestion Blue Alnico's a good upgrade...or their G12 Anniversary model.

Or you could just stick with what you've got and enjoy that it's already a great amp!

Anyone looking for Vox in the Midwest, I have heard nothing but great stories about North Coast Music in Milwaukee...

They check the tubes and burn in each unit before it leaves, which is reassuring to me.

The friend who turned me on to this place bought his AC-15 there.

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/why_..._ncm/index.html

Having heard that amp on their recordings and during countless hours of practice and numerous gigs, I agree that the AC-15 is a wonderful amp.

I recently got one of these. I actually paid extra to get the upgraded version with the Alnico Blue speakers...my thinking being that I hadn't really spent any money on an amp since 1987-ish, so what the hell. It sounds pretty great, and I'm sure it would sound even better with someone who can actually play.

I'm sure it would sound even better with someone who can actually play.

I have found that I have had a similar weak link in any guitar rigs I have assembled. :)

I look at it like a giant stress relief exercise, whether or not I ever play any better is almost irrelevant.