Guitarist Jeff Healey dies at 41

totally remember angel eyes as it was all over the radio in the late 80s. he was pretty cool, just suffered from that 80s production. wasn't he also in that movie roadhouse with patrick swazy and his huge hair?

sad news. didn't know he was that young. really thought he was one of the few mainstream 'rockers' in the 80s besides stevie etc. in the midst of all the terrible top 40 stuff.

When I brought my wife to a Wilco show in, I think, 2000 at Toad's Place in CT, we were waiting on line to get into the venue when all the members of Wilco walked past the line and got into a van. My wife, who was just vaguely familiar with the band said, "Hey, there's Jeff Healey!" His name will always be tied to that memory for me.

Rest in peace.

I think I have a VHS tape with him playing on a late night show.

He had a hit or two when I was in my 11th grade guitar shredder phase. That's too bad. 41 is way too young.

When I brought my wife to a Wilco show in, I think, 2000 at Toad's Place in CT, we were waiting on line to get into the venue when all the members of Wilco walked past the line and got into a van. My wife, who was just vaguely familiar with the band said, "Hey, there's Jeff Healey!" His name will always be tied to that memory for me.

awesome!!! sounds like my wife always referring to robert plant as the guitarist for the who. :thumbup

Rest in peace.

I live not far from Toronto, and for a while there I used to drive up to Healey's club every few weeks with an old friend of mine. The original location on Bathurst was a cozy little basement bar with tables that ran right to the edge of the stage. Healey would sit in with the house band most Thursday nights, and even with his remarkably flashy style he never drew undue attention to himself. He'd just sit on his chair near the drums and flail away in the background. One came away from the marathon shows sensing that Healey wasn't there to perform to the crowd so much as enjoy the music and the atmosphere with them. I shook his hand a few times, talked to him as the place dispersed, and he struck me as a very gregarious, down-to-earth kind of guy. I was shocked to read about his passing yesterday.

RIP.

ETA: here's a great clip of Healey and another gone-before-his-time guitar legend - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqU9RZqvFKY

Very sad news. :(

In 2006 I was at the Calgary Folk Festival with my sister, and on the saturday afternoon at the mainstage we watched Jeff Healey and the Jazz Wizards. It was some AMAZING music and EVERYBODY in the huge crowd got up and started dancing. Such a great atmosphere and memory. I bought the CD if him and the Jazz Wizards (I'm pretty sure that's what their name is) which is really great.

What a shame.

I remember seeing him with Knoffler and Stevie Ray Vaughn at Albert's hall (name?) above the Brunswick house. He must have been like 16 and was pretty amazing.

Last saw him with Stuart McLean on a Vinyl Cafe Christmas show, although I didn't like it when he dropped the guitar and started playing trumpet.

Rest in Peace.

Talk about someone being "born" with a talent...

It saddens me to know he's gone, look forward to hearing the new album he was working on.