Independent Music Stores in Virginia

I just ordered the new Stephen Malkmus album online because the only store I could think of that would have it in Northern Virginia (Best Buy) didn't have any copies at any of the six or seven locations closest to where I live. This seems to be a more common occurrence these days when I try to buy new albums. If Best Buy doesn't have it, I have to buy it online. We used to have a Tower Records (with it's outrageous prices), but it went out of business. So does anyone know of any independent stores in Northern Virginia?

If Best Buy doesn't have it, I have to buy it online.

You've just summed up my experience too. I don't know of anyplace in NOVA right now. Strangeland Records is a punk/metal/industrial shop in Annandale, but they've either closed or are about to close. Orpheus in Clarendon shut down recently as well. In the Fairfax area, it's been almost 10 years since the last small indie shop shut down (Record Convergance).

To be honest, I miss being able to browse through a store but you can find pretty much everything you'd ever want on-line for much better prices. Starting up a small record shop now seems like a great way to lose a lot of money, so I don't see things changing for the better.

I've been looking for somewhere to buy used CDs in Arlington/Falls Church, but have had no luck. I didn't realize it had been so long since Record Convergence shut down--that was the best place I knew of, but I guess it's been awhile.

The sad truth is, it's much cheaper and easier to buy new stuff from Amazon than from anywhere else, even though I'd like to support a local establishment if I could find one.

cd cellar in arlington and in falls church have some good selection of used cds. http://www.cdcellar.net/

as for independent record stores, the closest you'll get is olsson's. http://www.olssons.com/ not the cheapest, but stocks most popular indie stuff.

i was going to suggest cd cellar as well. you can always cross the river into DC and go to the cd store in georgetown. i think it is called cd warehouse, but might be something different. it is on M street, near 30th i think.