51gsEIfPswL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This man wrote one of my all-time favorite songs: "Ju Ju Man" (of which I only know the Brinsley Schwarz version). But I saw this album at Amazon and want to know as much from all you fine folks as I can.

Anyone familiar with him?

Apparently he also wrote "36 Inches High" which Nick covered on Jesus Of Cool... another one of my favorite songs.

Damn.

The guy was a talented songwriter. That's a great collection there, definitely worth getting if you don't have it

Just picked it up at Amazon.

And, for the record, here is the poop on it from AMG:

i79488vw8ky.jpg

Jim Ford is a legend' date=' at least among certain roots rockers. Even among this batch, his name is not especially well known, but he never was a guy who was pushed himself to the forefront, he was somebody that lurked in the background, popping up in places unexpectedly. He wrote songs that were turned into hits by Bobby Womack and Aretha Franklin -- "Harry Hippie" and "Niky Hoeky," respectively -- he was tight with Sly Stone, a regular in the debauched house where There's a Riot Goin' On was recorded (allegedly showing up on some of the sessions), dated Bobbie Gentry (later claiming that he penned her biggest hit, "Ode to Bobby Joe"), and posed in a Playboy photo comic with Tony Randall, among other adventures. Musically, he provided a pivotal influence on British pub rock in the '70s, most notably on Nick Lowe, who claimed Jim Ford as his greatest influence, cutting "36 Inches High" on Jesus of Cool and "JuJu Man" while he was in Brinsley Schwarz. Respected he may have been but popular he was not, and his 1969 debut, Harlan County, is the very definition of a cult album, something not heard by many but savored by those who did. And not just in retrospect, either: upon its release, it so inspired the British rock band the Koobas that they renamed themselves "Harlan County" and proceeded to re-record the entirety of Ford's album, which is an even greater gesture of devotion than Eric Clapton quitting Cream after hearing Music from Big Pink.

Harlan County saw some reissues over the years, including a release from Edsel in the mid-'90s, but it also slipped quickly out of print, following Ford into the realm of semi-obscurity. Like many cult artists, nobody really knows much about Ford. He hadn't been heard from since the '70s and managed to fall off the grid (not unlike his old friend Sly), but LP Anderson took the effort to seek him out in Northern California, coaxing him into an interview where Ford divulged his secrets, including the revelation of a stockpile of unheard tapes. Anderson's tale -- which was originally published in Sonic Magazine in 2006 -- provides the foundation for Bear Family's exceptional 2007 release The Sounds of Our Time, as his story is not only the bulk of the liner notes, but the discovery of rare tapes resulted in a whopping 15 bonus tracks to this definitive reissue of Harlan County. These bonus tracks aren't restricted to these newly found tapes, either -- several early singles are excavated, including the A-sides of the singles "Linda Comes Running," "Ramona," and "Hangin' from Your Lovin' Tree" (the first two from 1967, the latter from 1968, all lighter and poppier than what came a year later even if they mine a similar country-soul vein) and both sides of his 1973 single "Big Mouth USA" and "Rising Sun," which was his last release. That 1973 single came from the sessions for a full-length that was slated to be released on Paramount but was scrapped. Some of the sessions surface here -- including the delightful, R&B workout "Mixed Green" which works a food metaphor in a way not dissimilar to his disciple Nick Lowe -- along with a couple of straighter country songs cut a few years later: the terrific "Happy Songs Sell Records, Sad Songs Sell Beer," which is honky tonk via the Flying Burrito Brothers, and the lively "It Takes Two (To Make One)." But the bulk of the unreleased material dates from 1970, the year after the release of Harlan County, when Ford was cutting an album for Capitol that never was released. If two tracks cut roughly around the same time in Hollywood are counted, this amounts to a short, seven-track sequel to Harlan County which is a bit softer and a bit more laid-back than its predecessor, but it's plenty soulful and filled with great songs, chief among them his spare, original version of "36 Inches High," the clever, funny "She Turns My Radio On," "Go Through Sunday," and the slow, impassioned protest "The Sounds of Our Time," which echoes Sam Cooke and then a version of Cooke's "Chain Gang" which turns the song inside out.

These unheard songs are the big news to the roots rockers who have cherished a copy of Harlan County for years, and they live up to both the album and Ford's reputation. They're as good as anything on his lone released album, and they have a looser, funkier quality that makes them more endearing in some ways; it's easy to hear why he was an icon for many country rockers, whether they played in a pub in Britain or in studios in Hollywood. These 15 songs alone make The Sounds of Our Time necessary for those fans that already know Harlan County but anybody who loves soul, country, rock & roll, and great songwriting, this whole package is worthwhile as it showcases the rare cult figure whose cult does not overrate him -- if anything, he hasn't been rated enough, and hopefully this exceptional reissue will finally give him the credit he deserves.[/quote']

Just arrived, and... DAMN!

Just wish that it had his version of "Ju Ju Man" on there -- arguably the best rock and roll song, ever.

Okay... having a second listen now, and... you Nick Lowe fans out there, really MUST have this. Nick was trying his damndest to actually be Jim Ford back in the Brinsley Schwarz days. At least vocally.

Combine Parliament with Porter Wagoner, Chuck Berry, The Band and Van Morrison and you're pretty close.

"It's where country meets funky."

-Jim Ford

thanks, i'll check into it

36 Inches is a great song

so this guy is still alive ?

Died just last year.

• 1 month later...

New collection is out, too:

51nI740gStL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Anyone pick this one up? How is it? Still waiting for his version of "Ju Ju Man" to be released.

• 6 months later...
New collection is out, too:

51nI740gStL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Anyone pick this one up? How is it? Still waiting for his version of "Ju Ju Man" to be released.

Okay. So, I just picked that up. I'll update when it arrives in the mail.

And, it does NOT have "Ju Ju Man" on it (damnit).

• 2 months later...

So, I do have a little Jim Ford sampler disc, if anyone is interested.

PM me and I'll get it out to you.

Dude is pretty amazing.

Jim Ford is the shit!........ everyone who doesnt know of him should definitely get poptodds sampler disc.. Harlan County is a great album and the extra tracks on the disc he got has a really great cover of Sam Cookes "Chain Gang"..... someone that really slipped through the cracks

Ju Ju Man on one of my all-time R&R fav's:

getit.jpg

The live Brinsley Schwarz version is even better, IMO. Have you heard it?

It's on this album:

61KDDWCV77L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• 2 years later...

Now, THIS soon-to-be-released collection looks really interesting:

jimfordacoustic-300x268.jpg

I was wondering if and when a Jim Ford recording of my "Ju Ju Man" was going to ever surface. Sounds like it could be a trainwreck, but I don't care. When it comes to Ford, I think that I am going to have to be a completist. He is just too damn good. ("On a whole nother level," as declared by none other than Nick Lowe.)

A single CD Digipac containing 30 tracksand a 32-page booklet with a playing time of 79 minutes. "29 previously unreleased Unique acoustic home demos from the mythical creator of 1969's 'Harlan County'. Hear Jim Ford's creativity captured by a private cassette recorder in his living room. Many tracks on this anthology would be potential hits in the hands of today's artists. Stunning musical moments are interrupted by friends, drug deals, etc. Liner notes by singer, songwriter, musician, artist (and Jim Ford fanatic) Jeb Loy Nichols. - Jim Ford is the mythic artist behind 1969's legendary country soul album 'Harlan County'. After recording his sole album he hung out with Sly Stone and wrote for artists and friends like Bobby Womack, PJ Proby, The Temptations & Nick Lowe before completely disappearing from the scene in a haze of drugs and irrational behavior. When Bear Family managed to track Ford down in 2006 he was living in North California in a simple mobile home loaded with reel to reel tapes and cassettes. Some of these masters were included by Bear Family on popular anthologies like 'Sounds Of Our Time' and 'Point Of No Return.' This brand new CD, 'Demolition Expert' (Ford was a demolition expert when stationed in Germany during his stint in the U.S. army), sets focus on Jim Ford's acoustic home recordings. It is a unique opportunity for the listener to hear Jim's creativity flow. - You're invited to Jim Ford's living room to witness him come up with some truly soul shattering musical moments. You will also hear Jim be interrupted with drug deals on the phone and friends chattering and singing along. The recordings are a welcome and essential addition to any Jim Ford collection"

TRACKLISTING

1. Looking Over My Shoulder

2. We're Not Burning Bridges

3. Heartaches By The Number

4. I'd Be Ahead If I Could Quit

5. Throwing Footballs At Airplanes

6. It's Just A Picture Show

7. Out Of School, Educated Fools

8. L. A. Girl

9. Tonight

10. Happy Man

11. A Couple More Years

12. Ridin' On My Skateboard

13. Precious Jewel/Long Black Li

14. Demolition Expert/Under Cons

15. Looking Over My Shoulder

16. Ju Ju Man

17. You Win Again

18. Just Cause I Can

19. Jessie

20. Go Through Sunday

21. You Can't Take It With You

22. She's Got Her Own Way

23. Happy Songs Sell Records

24. Ten Years And One Day

25. Girl, I’d Love To Have You

26. Three Kinds Of Women

27. Stopping To Start

28. High Over Texas

29. Too Much Man

30. Interview excerpts

SOURCE.

Can't wait!

The live Brinsley Schwarz version is even better, IMO. Have you heard it?

It's on this album:

61KDDWCV77L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Yep,if you refere to the Cardiff Toprank I've got that for many(10?)years.Here's another version you might like:Rockpile - Bottom Line NYC - 1978,Oct

http://www.sendspace.com/file/b6yg37

capitolalbum.jpg

Jim Ford's previously unissued second album as it was intended to be heard, the follow up to 'Harlan County'... the holy grail of country soul music. Recorded in 1970 with the cream of Los Angeles' musicians. Available in deluxe 180g Vinyl (BAF 18005) and Digipak CD editions. Magnificent full stereo hi-fidelity sound from the original master tapes.

Jim Ford was Sly Stone's best friend and Nick Lowe's biggest musical influence. Aretha Franklin, Bobby Womack and The Temptations have all recorded his songs. But after just one mythical album, 'Harlan County,' in 1969, he disappeared.

Many tried to find Jim Ford without any success, until Swedish music journalist and devoted fan L-P Anderson found him living in a northern California trailer park 2006.

Jim Ford's modest residence contained a mountain of old master tapes and demos. Anderson befriended Ford and heard a story that even Hollywood scriptwriters would have said was too impossible to be true. Before leaving California, Anderson promised he'd get some of the tapes out on record. A compilation, 'The Sounds Of Our Time,' appeared on Bear Family Records in 2007 and became a big success. The CD spent four weeks in the Swedish charts and received worldwide critical acclaim. Jim was overwhelmed with the positive response. Unfortunately, he passed away in November 2007 aged 66, just before the launch of Bear Family's second Jim Ford compilation, 'Point Of No Return'.

Jim Ford left us with some extraordinarily good music. This self titled album was originally meant to be released by Capitol Records in October 1970, but Ford fell out with the company's executives before the project was manufactured.

Apparently, he got $20,000 and the master tapes. He also got strict orders never to show his face inside the Capitol building again. And now for the first time, here's Jim Ford's second album, the follow up to 'Harlan County'. It's never too late to enjoy the best in country soul music.

A lot of those songs (all of the songs?) on both Harlan County and The Unissued Capitol Album appear on the 2 compilations that I have -- The Sounds of Our Time and Point of No Return. Plus, there are a bunch of other tracks on the comps that make them more-worth purchasing than the "official" albums.

Looks like a closed book then,nothing new to be expected

Well... maybe.

Apparently there were SACKS full of demo tapes found at his home after he died.

Not sure what else is fit for releasing after this new demo collection comes out. The guy was a monster, so I'm waiting to see.

• 2 months later...

Just ordered Demolition Expert.

Cannot wait to hear Ford's own version of "Ju Ju Man" -- my favorite song of his. (And one of my favorites of all time.)

• 2 weeks later...

JUST ARRIVED!!!

Listening now and am enjoying the hell out of it.

The fairly terrible fidelity and off-handed performances make it really only for the existing members of the JF cult, but if you are One Of Us, you need this!

This is pure songwriter stuff, with lots of glimpses into Ford's process.

One piece of spoken bit from one of the tracks:

"I am, like, a 'writer's writer.' Like, other writers love to hear what I flow..."

Truer words have never been spoken.

Hearing Jim's version of "Ju Ju Man" for the first time is like a freaking revelation. A whole new way of hearing one of my favorite songs of all time. love.