Califone and Iron & Wine April 22, 2008 at the VIC

I went to the show last night mainly to see Califone. I thought they sounded great and their interaction with each other was fantastic. It just seemed like they were having a great time on stage. Maybe, I will write more later.

But from what I wrote down and remembered after they performed (45 mins), the setlist was:

Horoscopic Amputation Honey

Spider's House

Michigan Girls

Fisherman's Wife

The Orchids

The Eye You Lost in Your Crusades

Pink and Sour

Your Golden Ass

On a side note: I have seen Califone several times now in the past year, and I have yet to see hear any songs off of "Heron King Blues." I guess I am wondering why they haven't played most of these songs in a while, but I could be wrong since they could have played those songs at different shows. I know most of their gear was stolen during their 2004 tour, but did that cause them to stop playing the songs because they couldn't recreate them without the old gear?

Iron and Wine was pretty good, but I have to admit I am not a big fan. I did not really know most of their songs going into the show; however, hearing most of the songs for a first time did not really have a huge effect on me. Who knows maybe they will grow on me with time. However, one thing I did enjoy was the onstage jamming that was occurring with Sam Beam and his backing band which consisted of Ben Massarella of Califone on percussion, Chad Taylor on drums, and I believe Matt Lux on bass. I am not really sure who most of the others were though. But I was really surprised to see Chad Taylor playing with Iron and Wine because I ignorantly thought he only played jazz.

Nice review....

At this stage of the Chicago music scene I think guys like Chad Taylor will play with just about anyone they think is a serious musician no matter what the genre. Everyone is pretty tied in together at this point.

As far as King Heron is concerned, I think the album was just slightly a one off kind of project (improvised in the studio) and maybe they don't feel that tied to the structure of those pieces.

At first I wasn't that enamored of Iron and Wine, resisting the lo-fi charm and all. Then I listened to his earliest material and really kind of dig it. But frankly his most recent album is kind of boring....I just think the strumming and mumbling with a big band is kind of not going anywhere. Somehow his lack of song structure doesn't justify all the extra effort.

But the guy can grow a beard like no one else...

LouieB