Clearcoat / Finish Question

Hey all you savvy VC'rs,

I used to work as Editor in Chief for my University paper-- best year of my life, all that. Anyway, when my contract finished up at the end of April, all my staff chipped in and bought me a nice burgundy Epiphone LP Special, and everyone autographed it all beautiful like in gold pen. Now, I'm planning on swapping out the tuners and the P'ups, but my real concern is the finish. I want to actually play this bastard at gigs (especially ones they show up at, despite the fact that it's obviously just supposed to be a decoration) but I don't want to wear everyone's Hancocks off. Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do to coat over the finish that'll protect, but hopefully not ruin the signatures? I can spot test some, but I know nothing about finishes and what needs to be done to protect them.

Also, in addition to that huge paragraph, any suggestions for pickups? I was considering something bitchin like some nice 57 classics or burstbuckers. I know it hasn't got much to work with (basswood, eghhhh) but like I said, the combination of sentiment and cosmetic fantasticalness is too much to ignore.

Thanks to everyone in advance, I'm always in awe at the stuff you guys dig up.

Hey there --

You have two choices if you want to apply a clearcoat to your guitar. One, is a nitrocellulose laquer and the other is polyurethane. I have found that for "sealing" things, a spray polyurethane works pretty well. Nitrocellulose laquers have more solvents in them, which might dissolve the ink in the signatures. I've sprayed the poly on magazine photos before and had good results. Just do a bunch of misted coats to build up your desired protective layer.

Additionally, I would take off all the hardware on your guitar so that your can a smooth seam with the spray. Be sure to mask off the neck/fingerboard also, so you don't get any unwanted spray.

As far as pickups go, I think Gibson 57 Classics sound awesome. I have two guitars with this pickup and they sound super.

Your finish is prolly nitro already...too many solvents...

consider fast drying gloss deft lacquer...$10 at lowe's...acetone,methyl ethyl ketone,propane, et al...this is sandable, buffable, although steel wood is best, its a good sealer and will hold up to finger oils and abuse...nitro and poly are difficult when trying to get a clear and flawless coat...with this, you dont have to cover the entire top...

ask questions here... http://www.reranch.com/reranch/

Prefer classic 57's everyday of the week over burstbuckers, consider SD pickups as well...

have fun!