I have a new iMac at my job and I'd like to export my contacts, bookmarks and calendar from Outlook (PC) into files that i can then import on to my iMac. What is the best way to do that? OR should i just import it all to google and be done with it?

Also, will i be able to sync my blackberry with the iMac?

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I have a new iMac at my job and I'd like to export my contacts, bookmarks and calendar from Outlook (PC) into files that i can then import on to my iMac. What is the best way to do that? OR should i just import it all to google and be done with it?

Also, will i be able to sync my blackberry with the iMac?

If you get outlook for Mac it should. I know that the address book software on my powerbook will accept appointments forwarded from Outlook.

Does your iMac have Outlook? If so the files should be compatible with the ones for your Windows version.

I say *should* because Windows apps sometimes seem to conflict with each other even though they were created by the same damn company.

Congratulations on your Mac!! :party

you can sync your BlackBerry using either PocketMac (they offer it for a free download due to a contract w/ RIM), but i prefer Missing Sync for the BB, it's $39 or so and works better for me than PM.

as for exporting and importing, check on the Mac first to see what all formats it can import to for certain things (mail, bookmarks, etc.), before you export from the PC, but you should be able to do everything eventually, even if it takes a bit of work.

On the Mac are you using Mail (the program that comes with the mac for email) or Entourage (Microsoft's answer to Outlook, although depending on your IT department depends on how integrated Entourage is to a network). Let me know which it is and I can check to see what the steps are to import that contacts. It might be different. You might actually be able to set it up so that the mail program automatically pulls in your emails from your home account. I'd have to do some checking, it's been a while since I've really delved into setting up either of these programs. Macs are wonderful and quite easy to use.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
That's right, I meant to ask if you had Entourage, not Outlook. Outlook was only available for Macs running OS 9.

Entourage sucks!

Entourage sucks!

Especially when your IT guy has no idea how to set up Entourage to work properly with an exchange server and you have to go onto the webmail outlook to either check people's schedules when setting up a meeting or activating an out of office message. although with the newest version, microsoft at least figured out how to let macs set up an out of office message on an exchange server finally. now if i could only access the company address book on the exchange server. we can't share calendars.

wanna know the solution around the Entourage incompatibility with our server: we're getting new macs, with intel chips, two monitors, and will be running dual platforms, windows on one monitor and leopard on the other. then our email and other office functions will be up on the windows side of things and everything else on the mac. that's what i call a serious work around.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Especially when your IT guy has no idea how to set up Entourage to work properly with an exchange server and you have to go onto the webmail outlook to either check people's schedules when setting up a meeting or activating an out of office message. although with the newest version, microsoft at least figured out how to let macs set up an out of office message on an exchange server finally. now if i could only access the company address book on the exchange server. we can't share calendars.

wanna know the solution around the Entourage incompatibility with our server: we're getting new macs, with intel chips, two monitors, and will be running dual platforms, windows on one monitor and leopard on the other. then our email and other office functions will be up on the windows side of things and everything else on the mac. that's what i call a serious work around.

I'm in a Mac environment for print publishing but our web publishing is on PC. We're supposed to go to a new CMS which may require a similarly jiggered arrangement. <fume>

I'm in a Mac environment for print publishing but our web publishing is on PC. We're supposed to go to a new CMS which may require a similarly jiggered arrangement.

yeah, the other benefit to our crazy dual environment will be that we can actually update our website from the macs and not have to jump onto a PC to do it. apparently the backend of our website can only be updated using Internet Explorer. I wonder if your CMS is the same CMS we just switched to. i'll keep my comments to myself about any product/company that restricts use to only PCs.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
yeah, the other benefit to our crazy dual environment will be that we can actually update our website from the macs and not have to jump onto a PC to do it. apparently the backend of our website can only be updated using Internet Explorer. I wonder if your CMS is the same CMS we just switched to. i'll keep my comments to myself about any product/company that restricts use to only PCs.

We are just in the talking phase at this point. Dunno how many are out there. What sort of operation do you have, we're a trade pub, but fairly deep content wise.

We are just in the talking phase at this point. Dunno how many are out there. What sort of operation do you have, we're a trade pub, but fairly deep content wise.

I'm at a museum. We are using Convio for our CMS (there's a CRM side to it as well that hasn't quite merged with Convio, but is supposed to soon). We ported over 3,000+ pages of content when we redid our website (which was recently). You're able to do all sorts of cross referencing, auto populating, and such. It is a fairly dynamic system, but just not Mac friendly for making updates/building on the backend. The rest of the world sees the pages just fine though regardless of PC vs Mac.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I'm at a museum. We are using Convio for our CMS (there's a CRM side to it as well that hasn't quite merged with Convio, but is supposed to soon). We ported over 3,000+ pages of content when we redid our website (which was recently). You're able to do all sorts of cross referencing, auto populating, and such. It is a fairly dynamic system, but just not Mac friendly for making updates/building on the backend. The rest of the world sees the pages just fine though regardless of PC vs Mac.

That's not who we're looking at. I think we're at about 45,000+ pages.

That's not who we're looking at. I think we're at about 45,000+ pages.

45,000 pages, gulp. that makes our website transition seem like small fries. do you have multimedia content entrapped in all of that (video and audio files)? good luck with all that. i know our 3000 page site was a very long, tedious, and trying experience, riddled with delays (but am not convinced about who actually caused the delays). i wouldn't even dream of doing a 45,000 page transition and merge to a new CMS. have fun! may the force be with you.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
45,000 pages, gulp. that makes our website transition seem like small fries. do you have multimedia content entrapped in all of that (video and audio files)? good luck with all that. i know our 3000 page site was a very long, tedious, and trying experience, riddled with delays (but am not convinced about who actually caused the delays). i wouldn't even dream of doing a 45,000 page transition and merge to a new CMS. have fun! may the force be with you.

I was figuring you had some large files for museum. Some webinars, some audio content, but mostly text; some database issues.

I was figuring you had some large files for museum. Some webinars, some audio content, but mostly text; some database issues.

yeah, we have a lot of media files and a lot of constituent data with databases the synch up for donors and members that goes way beyond my brain capacity. i think the database stuff though is all driven through our CRM tool and not our CMS.

We have the weirdest collection of things for the macs. mail.app and iCal? and some sort of address book? None of which seem to work together?! WTF? creative people don't have appointments? How do i sync my blackberry to that? Right now i'm using google calendar but that is a cludgy workaround. I will talk to our IT guy (aka the ED's husband who works for nestle crunch bars) why we don't have anything integrated. We also don't have remote access or a pop mail account, so i don't know how people work from home or when they're on the road! I feel like I'm in 1988 for cod's sake. I like the big screen though. It is gigantic.

Those 3 programs are all Mac native applications that come with every Mac and install automatically with OSX. How are you finding them incompatible with each other?

You can read up on everything right here....I think it will help decipher it all:

http://www.apple.com/support/osfamily/

i guess i am used to outlook, where my address book and my calendar are all right there, and i can get an invitatation in my email and add it to my calendar RIGHT THEN AND THERE. Can i do that with mail.app, iCal and Address Book? I can't import any of my data from my PC into those programs, though, which is kind of a pain in the ass. Between the two computers at home and the blackberry, and now a mac at work, i really need for all my contacts and data to be in one place, and I can't believe that one place is gonna be google.

i will read up on them, It has been 10 years since i had a mac...

We have the weirdest collection of things for the macs. mail.app and iCal? and some sort of address book? None of which seem to work together?! WTF? creative people don't have appointments? How do i sync my blackberry to that? Right now i'm using google calendar but that is a cludgy workaround. I will talk to our IT guy (aka the ED's husband who works for nestle crunch bars) why we don't have anything integrated. We also don't have remote access or a pop mail account, so i don't know how people work from home or when they're on the road! I feel like I'm in 1988 for cod's sake. I like the big screen though. It is gigantic.

iCal, mail.app, and the address book are all the Mac based applications that come with the computers. do you by chance know which operating system you're running, that might help me figure out the integration. if you click on the apple in the top left hand corner of the screen you'll get an "about this mac" option and a window will pop up that should say OX X version 10.something or another. if it's the latest operating system the address book and mail do sync up, they just don't have to both be open at the same time. ie: if you program addresses into the address application, when you go to send a message, the mail program works with the address book without it even being open. i believe iCal syncs up as well and appointments will go onto the calendar, but it just isn't all tidy into one package the way that outlook is. little known fact, if you have your address book and calendar up to date on the mac, and you select this option in itunes, when you sync your ipod, they will sync and be on your ipod. :) i'll look into how to sync a blackberry to it. we also might be able to crack the whole mail account to see if there is a way to check it from the road/at home. oooh, if i had my laptop right now, i could totally log into your mac and have a look around and try to figure it out for you (actually that might be how you can do the remote access, as long as you're running leopard that is). i'll geek out at home tonight to make sure i have all my info right. i'll send you an email once i get my bearings. i'm actually going to be working from home tomorrow afternoon, i could try to access your computer remotely then. let's talk tonight! i always wanted to try out that whole remote access from one mac to another thing! [i actually have a small empire of macs that i take care of for friends and family, 6 total so far]

i guess i am used to outlook, where my address book and my calendar are all right there, and i can get an invitatation in my email and add it to my calendar RIGHT THEN AND THERE. Can i do that with mail.app, iCal and Address Book?

you can....

iCal, mail.app, and the address book are all the Mac based applications that come with the computers. do you by chance know which operating system you're running, that might help me figure out the integration. if you click on the apple in the top left hand corner of the screen you'll get an "about this mac" option and a window will pop up that should say OX X version 10.something or another. if it's the latest operating system the address book and mail do sync up, they just don't have to both be open at the same time. ie: if you program addresses into the address application, when you go to send a message, the mail program works with the address book without it even being open. i believe iCal syncs up as well and appointments will go onto the calendar, but it just isn't all tidy into one package the way that outlook is. little known fact, if you have your address book and calendar up to date on the mac, and you select this option in itunes, when you sync your ipod, they will sync and be on your ipod. :) i'll look into how to sync a blackberry to it. we also might be able to crack the whole mail account to see if there is a way to check it from the road/at home. oooh, if i had my laptop right now, i could totally log into your mac and have a look around and try to figure it out for you (actually that might be how you can do the remote access, as long as you're running leopard that is). i'll geek out at home tonight to make sure i have all my info right. i'll send you an email once i get my bearings. i'm actually going to be working from home tomorrow afternoon, i could try to access your computer remotely then. let's talk tonight! i always wanted to try out that whole remote access from one mac to another thing! [i actually have a small empire of macs that i take care of for friends and family, 6 total so far]

Let me log in from the office tomorrow and i'll tell you which OS (Leopard, i think) I"m running. One of the beefs I have with this computer is that the IT guy who is the ED's husband has put a lock on it so i can't download anything, like the blackberry syncing program. :( We have something on the computer via mac.com that allows us to somehow remotely access files and such but i tried to load "Log me in" which is what ben uses at his work and of course, I needed the admin password to run it. Grrrrr