My band are looking to add some keys to our sound, like Pink Floyd, Hammond kind of sound. I've looked on ebay a bit at older vox organs and stuff but I'm starting to think it may be a better idea to just get a digital stage piano or something, can any keys players recommend a good one for ideally not too much money (can't afford a nord)

My band are looking to add some keys to our sound, like Pink Floyd, Hammond kind of sound. I've looked on ebay a bit at older vox organs and stuff but I'm starting to think it may be a better idea to just get a digital stage piano or something, can any keys players recommend a good one for ideally not too much money (can't afford a nord)

Yeah, the nord would be a really good all-in-one solution. There was a discussion earlier (like years earlier) about buying a decent piano and organ for under $1000, but it looks like it mostly focused on piano.

There was a bit of discussion on hammond clones, too, though it might run out of your price range.

You might look at getting a hammond module (just the sounds, no keyboard) and buying an inexpensive, MIDI-capable keyboard with some other miscellaneous sounds to control it. Search ebay for organ modules and you can snag one for not too much. Voce makes a really good one. Also, I've played one of Roland's and I don't hate it (well, not completely).

If you have a laptop, you can also consider running software like the Native Instruments B4 (the link is to the B4 II, the first version you might be able to find cheaper). You'll have to get a USB controller or a MIDI-capable keyboard and a MIDI-USB converter. I've never really worked with soft synths (they scare me) so I don't really know what else you'll need.

Casio also makes a relatively cheap keyboard that has some passible drawbar organ sounds. It doesn't have all the functionality of a clonewheel (you have all of the drawbars, I think, but can only set them to off, half, or full) and I don't remember it fooling me (espcially the leslie sim, if there was one), but I was actually impressed.

You might check out the Yahoo Clonewheel discussion group for some insight. It's been a long time since I really researched this so I feel somewhat out of the loop.

thanks Gin, I hadn't thought of modules. I never fully understood how they worked, I do have a small midi keyboard we could use. thing is we don't even really need a full 88 key. and its worth considering whatever we decide on must be able to fit into a Fiat Cinquecento hehe

thanks Gin, I hadn't thought of modules. I never fully understood how they worked, I do have a small midi keyboard we could use. thing is we don't even really need a full 88 key. and its worth considering whatever we decide on must be able to fit into a Fiat Cinquecento hehe

The keyboardist in the last band I was in had a module and it worked great. It takes up no room. I think his keyboard was 60 something keys, the module wasn't big either. The sounds were great. He had a decent one with lots of sounds. For improvising it was great because he could do an organ solo, then throw in some gunshots or a car accident. When we would play with other bands sometimes he would play the sound of crickets after someone elses song.

No prob. I've never really used a module either, but the keyboardist in my band does (how can I have this many keyboards and not play them in either of my bands?). It's just as simple as connecting the keyboard to the module with MIDI cables and then connecting the module to your amp.

also, does anyone know what this little brown organ the guy from The Coral plays is?? looks pretty cool and compact

That looks pretty cool. I don't know what it is, but you can always fish around combo-organ.com until you find something that looks like it:

http://www.combo-organ.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Well it turns out the coral organ is a Phillips organ, Phillicordia. they're pretty awesome. anyone know a good module??

That is one rad keyboard. I want one.

Looks like these guys do a software emulator:

http://www.store.precisionsound.net/philicordainfo.php

Probably not much help to you.

And check out this dude funking up "Sultans of Swing" on one:

It has such a lot of personality as an instrument, that you'd have to be careful not to overuse it, I reckon...