Jeff's nylon string?

While perusing the new photographs on the Wilco site, I noticed Jeff is playing an old nylon string Martin. Has anyone noticed this at shows? Wonder what pickup system he's using. What are some of you using to amplify your nylon stringed guitars?

Best--

I'll check out the site soon, usally pre war martin's can't take steel strings. As far as pup system I would say one that wouldn't require any modification drilling.

id say a transducer under the bridgeplate, like a k&k pure western is more likely---piezos arent all that great with silk and gut strings, and there's less cutting in install

they are the same thing. semantics.

they are the same thing. semantics.

not semantics...

maybe i should have been more specific...a thin strip of piezo under the saddle (UST) is what most folks refer to as a piezo pickup, to which i find they are less effective with gut or nylon...a piezo transducer is generally the small round pickup glued to the underside of the guitar top, or under the bridgeplate...while the physics of how each work are similar, the pickups work differently and sound differently, the UST picks up mostly string vibration, the standard transducer set up picks up the vibrations of the top...

the UST requires cutting the saddle, routing a hole under, and often a shim to secure it (cutting is bad on an old guitar)

there are several nylon/steel string combos out there, i cant tell from the pic what he has...its true that old martins have a hard time holding up to steel, but sadly most end up needing a neck reset anyhow

In talking about string blends, have any of you guys played half rounds(electric) or silk/steel(acoustic) strings?

I think I'm going to grab a set of half rounds, should the gauge size equal what I usally play?

I spend a whole lot of time thinking about acoustic guitar strings... I am always looking for brighter, brighter, brighter. Any suggestions? Martin Bluegrass SP Phosphor-Bronze sound the brightest to me, but I would actually like something even brighter... And heck since I'm wishing, I'll add preferably for longer, I only get a max of 12 hours out of the SPs.

In talking about string blends, have any of you guys played half rounds(electric) or silk/steel(acoustic) strings?

I think I'm going to grab a set of half rounds, should the gauge size equal what I usally play?

my pop uses silk n steels on his pre-war martin, sounds great but impossible to amplify

my pop uses silk n steels on his pre-war martin, sounds great but impossible to amplify

Yeah, not a problem. Gonna put them on my 12 fret models.

Got to play an early 50's Gretch with flats today an loved it. Looks as though I have to build and archtop.