Robert Pollar's new band...

Can't believe no Colorado shows. One of my favorite memories was Robert handing me a bud out of the band cooler during the encore of the GBV show. Have not checked out the new one but plan on it. Did not know about boston Spaceships until I read this.

Can't believe no Colorado shows. One of my favorite memories was Robert handing me a bud out of the band cooler during the encore of the GBV show. Have not checked out the new one but plan on it. Did not know about boston Spaceships until I read this.

spaceships is a welcome project, mainly because it's the first thing pollard has done without todd tobias playing all the instruments and producing and arranging and recording since ... half-smiles? (other than keene brothers)

boston spaceships is pollard with former gbv bass player chris slusarenko on guitar, jason narduccy on bass and john moen on drums. tommy keene came along for the live shows, which were his best since the nate farley / tim tobias / jim mcpherson / doug gillard gbv lineup

the songs aren't quite there but it sounds great. kind of like the takeovers stuff

the songs aren't quite there but it sounds great. kind of like the takeovers stuff

The Takeovers are another Pollard-project that is steady enough to help me retain my faith in Uncle Bob. I really like Bad Football. Too bad there isn't a Takeovers record on the slate this year. There are 2 BS albums coming out this year plus a compilation of all the b-sides, singles and stuff from the past 2-3 years (Tug Of War At The Faithful Center). Dig the assumed cover art:

various_artists_tug_of_war_at_the_faithful_center_large.jpg

The Takeovers are another Pollard-project that is steady enough to help me retain my faith in Uncle Bob. I really like Bad Football. Too bad there isn't a Takeovers record on the slate this year. There are 2 BS albums coming out this year plus a compilation of all the b-sides, singles and stuff from the past 2-3 years (Tug Of War At The Faithful Center).

bad football to me was just OK ... i dug my will & i can see my dog most but the other stuff ... varied between OK and meh ... although it sounded good

i think boston spaceships pretty much replaces bad football ... the only difference in lineup being john moen on drums instead of slusher?

turn to red, likewise, had a few really good cuts -- serpentine rain dodger is an all-timer (although i think i prefer the original version on 30 songs) and insane-cool it is really good ... but after that ...

for me, the last record that i could listen to start to finish without skipping a thing was From a Compound Eye

• 1 month later...
I haven't bought Turn to Red yet. I went through a two-year burnout phase after FACE: it was so good and everything else just paled in comparison.

FaCE is my favorite record of the decade

threw it in on the way to work this morning & was reminded how insanely great it is

OK, i'm getting lost. Is FACE a Pollard, Takeovers, or Boston Spaceships album?

From a Compound Eye is a Robert Pollard solo record

the first thing he put out after GBV broke up (other than i think the zoom ep)

takeovers was pollard vox and songs with chris slusarenko playing all the instruments

boston spaceships is pollard vox and songs with chris slusarenko on guitar and bass and john moen (decemberists) on drums, adding tommy keene (guitar) and jason narduccy (bass) in the touring lineup

narduccy was also in the touring lineup on the FaCE tour (on guitar, not bass) and keene was also (on keys and guitar). slusarenko was in the last incarnation of GBV but not in the FaCE touring lineup

From a Compound Eye is a Robert Pollard solo record

the first thing he put out after GBV broke up (other than i think the zoom ep)

takeovers was pollard vox and songs with chris slusarenko playing all the instruments

boston spaceships is pollard vox and songs with chris slusarenko on guitar and bass and john moen (decemberists) on drums, adding tommy keene (guitar) and jason narduccy (bass) in the touring lineup

narduccy was also in the touring lineup on the FaCE tour (on guitar, not bass) and keene was also (on keys and guitar). slusarenko was in the last incarnation of GBV but not in the FaCE touring lineup

oops. I did not realize FACE was being used as an acronym. Thanks for the splaining.