Subpop 20th Anniversary Festival - July 11-13, 2008

I know Red Red Meat (I think they only reunited for these two shows because all have different projects now) is playing in Chicago at the Empty Bottle on July 11 if you can't fly out to WA.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, excited to hear a bootleg of the reunited Beachwood Sparks set. Also, Green River is playing? Like Jeff Ament, Stone Gossard, Steve Turner and Mark Arm....Green River? If so thats fucking sweet

Green River Taps Archives For Sub Pop Reunion

July 09, 2008 , 2:00 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Green River has gone deep into its back catalog in anticipation of its reunion performance Sunday (July 13) in Seattle as part of Sub Pop's 20th anniversary bash.

Bassist Jeff Ament tells Billboard.com the group re-learned two unreleased songs from its early demo, "Baby, Help Me Forget" and "Leech," for the occasion, which will mark Green River's first show in nearly 21 years.

"In a weird way, those are probably some of the best songs we have," he says. "It's funny how it works. At the time, we thought they were way too simple or not challenging enough. But in retrospect, they're really great pop songs. We re-learned those two, but there are five or six songs that never got released."

Green River, which also includes Pearl Jam guitarist Stone Gossard, Mudhoney principals Mark Arm and Steve Turner and drummer Alex Vincent, rehearsed twice in late April but has reconvened three additional times to relearn the material.

"Last night, felt like we were 95% there," Ament says. "We had a go at 16 or 17 songs and we have 14 right now, but we may need to get that down to 11 or 12 for Sunday. We have a 40-minute slot."

Ament isn't ruling out the possibility of future Green River activity, saying, "It would be fun to write a couple of new songs with those guys." He admits the band has received offers to play live again, but his true goal is what he calls "the ultimate pairing: we need to go ask the Stooges to do 25 shows or something. For me, then it would be worth it."

On Saturday, Ament and Gossard will join their Pearl Jam bandmates for VH1's "Rock Honors" tribute to the Who. The group will debut a cover of the Who's "The Real Me" for the occasion.

"It's always cool to learn a song like that, which is so different than our own style," Ament says. "We've also never played with horns and a string section before, so that will be an added special thing for us."

• 1 month later...

Photographs from the festival

Beachwood Sparks Eyeing Studio After Tour

August 19, 2008 , 11:50 AM ET

Michael D. Ayers, N.Y.

After some nudging from Sub Pop to play its recent 20th anniversary bash, psychedelic country rock outfit Beachwood Sparks has its sights set on a third album after hitting the road.

The group's last release was the 2002 EP "Make the Cowboy Robots Cry," after which it went on an indefinite hiatus. "We always left it that if the time comes or the elements are right, we'd probably do this again," drummer Aaron Sperske tells Billboard.com. "With the Sub Pop [reunion], they said, 'We'll give you some money.' They basically facilitated us getting in the studio. That was the catalyst we needed -- someone to underwrite this."

Sperske says the original impetus to time off from Beachwood Sparks stemmed from different visions each member had for the group's direction. So, they split to focus on their own projects: bassist Brent Rademaker and guitarist Christopher Gunst formed the Tyde and guitarist Dave Scher joined Interpol as a touring musician. Sperske now says Beachwood Sparks has swelled to a seven-piece, breathing new life into the group.

"We're more flexible in our sound," Sperske says. "A part of it is getting back into the fold and honestly, it has never sounded better than it has before. People are really good players now, too. It's not like they weren't before, but we can do things beyond what we could do before."

For now, Beachwood Sparks is working the kinks out on stage before committing to write new material. "Initially we were really jamming and branching out. It was a new, viable energy," Sperske says. "I felt these shows we booked were not only to say, 'Hey, we're back,' but to gel as a unit again."

"These shows will give us the mojo to have the musical telepathy to be a proper band, and have it not be a piecemeal recording project," he continues. [it will be] something a bit more authentic. Once we've turned over as many stones as we can, I feel we'd have the confidence to produce some new tunes."

Here are Beachwood Sparks tour dates:

Aug. 21: San Francisco (Bottom of the Hill)

Aug. 23: San Diego (Casbah)

Aug. 24: Los Angeles (Sunset Junction)

Sept. 11: Philadelphia (Johnny Brenda's)

Sept. 12: Hoboken, N.J. (Maxwell's)

Sept. 13: New York (Bowery Ballroom)

Due to work constraints,I was unable to go to this.........but I was beside myself when these guys got back together to tour again.........hopefully, an album and live recordings will result!!!!

btw A-Man......It was me that shipped the grooves thoe many years ago..... :thumbup

-Robert.

Yeah, Beachwood Sparks are coming to San Diego in a couple of days. Are you saying that I should go to the show?

If you have never heard them, there are some songs on their My Space page you can listen to -

Oh absolutely!!!! .....hey....did you move out west??

-Robert.

* Beachwood Sparks (2000 Sub Pop)

* Once We Were Trees (2001, Sub Pop)

* Make the Cowboy Robots Cry EP (2002, Sub Pop)

There is also All Night Radio - Spirit Stereo Frequency.

I like what's on their MySpace page.

Oh absolutely!!!! .....hey....did you move out west??

Yeah, I've been out here since October of 2007. There are so many more good shows out here, but I guess that comes with moving to a town that's 13x bigger than where I lived in PA.