So on my electric I play .010s. The other day my high E broke, and in a fit of not wanting to break a new set open, I decided to string an extra B-string (0.013) on in its place. Now every time I pick it up it's a bit out of tune. Is saddling up the E with the B-string putting too much strain on my guitar?

Ordinarily, the thicknesses go as thus: 0.010, 0.013, 0.017, 0.026, 0.036, 0.046.

So now it's thus: 0.013, 0.013, 0.017, 0.026, 0.036, 0.046.

Is this "unhealthy" for my guitar?

thanks in advance.

although the higher gauge requires more string tension to reach pitch, going up to a .13 on the e is not a hazard for your guitar, youll get a fatter tone from it on that one string---2 problems however...

first, you likely need to adjust the saddle to re-intonate for the heavier string (bad fretted notes)

secondly, you have a nut slot that is too narrow for the thicker string (bad unfretted notes)

id change all your strings at earliest opportunity, and changing up/down gauges almost always requires at least a set up, if not a new nut

j

Guest Cousin Tupelo
although the higher gauge requires more string tension to reach pitch, going up to a .13 on the e is not a hazard for your guitar, youll get a fatter tone from it on that one string---2 problems however...

first, you likely need to adjust the saddle to re-intonate for the heavier string (bad fretted notes)

secondly, you have a nut slot that is too narrow for the thicker string (bad unfretted notes)

id change all your strings at earliest opportunity, and changing up/down gauges almost always requires at least a set up, if not a new nut

j

I don't think the nut slow would be as serious an issue as the saddle -- and impacting the saddle when you went to change back to the slightly lighter gauge.

Might be fun with playing with different tunings while you're procrastinating restringing :-P

I haven't tried it yet, but one guy suggested replacing the G string with an octive from a 12-string (it would actually be a .10 or .12 IIRC). He called it a Nashville set up. I love the octive ring on the G with a 12-string and have been curious how it would play together.

I don't think the nut slow would be as serious an issue as the saddle -- and impacting the saddle when you went to change back to the slightly lighter gauge.

Might be fun with playing with different tunings while you're procrastinating restringing :-P

I haven't tried it yet, but one guy suggested replacing the G string with an octive from a 12-string (it would actually be a .10 or .12 IIRC). He called it a Nashville set up. I love the octive ring on the G with a 12-string and have been curious how it would play together.

Well i wasnt implying recutting the nut just for the one temp string

as i said, the nut slot only impacts unfretted notes, but it is pretty serious in terms of proper string resonance, and yes you'd have to change the nut again if you went from heavy to light gauge again

Keith Richards is known for the nashville set up...again, nut and saddle adjustments needed to do it right