How Baseball is Rigged for Lefties

Guest Jules
No way of checking this in stats but IMHO, I bet lefties are more susceptible to balk calls on pickoff throws to first because the umpire can argue his leg kick is a movement towards the plate.

Actually, they usually get called when their leg passes the line of the rubber. Once the leg is raised up and passes behind the rubber, they have to come to the plate. They also have to step towards first base and not pass 45 degrees on the step. Petitte pushes this line often and I've seen him get called on it.

In general, you're likely right that lefties get more balk calls on pickoff throws.

you people are really confusing this southpaw. i thought i wished i would have been an mlb player/pitcher if i'd been born male. now, who knows what to think? this is really interesting, though.

Um anyone else think an aircraft engineer and professor should write about sport being "rigged" using some real statistics or analysis?

As a lefty I am offended. My call to Al Sharpton has yet to be returned.