Nels Cline Singers

So who's going Saturday? My wife and I will be at the show and we'll also be at Barley's beforehand enjoying some tasty brews. It's less than a block from The Orange Peel. 72 taps! I highly recommend it for great brew and food.

I'm a huge Nels fan and I'm pretty damn excited. It'll be my first Nels Cline Singers show.

I'm a huge Nels fan and I'm pretty damn excited. It'll be my first Nels Cline Singers show.

The show last night in Austin was pretty damned spectacular. Well attended, energetic and enthusiastic. I'm happy to see this band getting out on the road.

Some videos have appeared on YouTube;

I'll be there :wave That's the last stop on my Singers road trip. I just got down to Missouri today and will be catching the last four shows of the tour. I'm really happy for them that they've had such great crowds. I'm in awe of them every time I see them. Prepare for an excellent show!

I'm not sure what I'm wearing yet, but I'll have a silver purse. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting in early enough to meet up beforehand, too. I never met a 72 tap bar I didn't like! I'll mention it to Nels, too, and see if we can get him to stop by for a beer before or after the show.

I'll mention it to Nels, too, and see if we can get him to stop by for a beer before or after the show.

That would be spectacular. He's definitely on my list of "people I would love to have a beer with".

And I'll look for the silver purse. I've been here for over a year, and have never met a VCer. :)

Well, you'll still be seeing Nels a couple weeks later..... With WILCO! Right? :thumbup

Yep! And I may have an extra ticket to the Charleston show if you know anyone who may be interested. I won't know until the end of this week, though.

I'll be there :wave That's the last stop on my Singers road trip.

See you there Three dollars.. My wife and I will be at Barleys up until the doors open (7 PM). We'll look for the silver purse. And hopefully Nels will get to stop by as well. :thumbup

My name is Maggie, by the way. That might be a little less awkward than having to walk up to every woman with a silver purse and ask, "Are you Three dollars and 63 cents?" :lol

There probably won't be a huge crowd, so you could probably get away with getting there a little later if you want. I've gotten to their shows a few times only fifteen minutes or so before they came on and still got right down front. I'm guessing it will be standing room down by the stage with tables in the back, since the Orange Peel website says it's a partially seated show.

See you tomorrow!

My name is Maggie, by the way. That might be a little less awkward than having to walk up to every woman with a silver purse and ask, "Are you Three dollars and 63 cents?" :lol

There probably won't be a huge crowd, so you could probably get away with getting there a little later if you want. I've gotten to their shows a few times only fifteen minutes or so before they came on and still got right down front. I'm guessing it will be standing room down by the stage with tables in the back, since the Orange Peel website says it's a partially seated show.

See you tomorrow!

Great. Then, we'll probably stay at Barley's a little later then.. Have a couple more :beer

My name really is Lamrod. No I'm just kidding, it's Matt. :thumbup

See ya!

I didn't know the Orange Peel even had seats. All the showsI've seen there were standing. Maybe they bring chairs in for the smaller acts? I have no idea.

Now I wish I were going.

I didn't know the Orange Peel even had seats. All the showsI've seen there were standing. Maybe they bring chairs in for the smaller acts? I have no idea.

Yeah, I've been to a couple shows there and they were both standing only. But like three dollars said, maybe there will be tables in the back. I saw The Wailers there a couple years ago, and it was packed wall to wall. You could barely see the band from all of the "tobacco smoke"

It was an amazing, intense show. It was great to see Nels let loose and not hold anything back. I was very impressed with the other two musicians as well.

Also, it was nice to meet you Maggie. :)

The show was great. What I liked most about the shows this month is that they played a lot longer. Most places last month, they only played one set. With the longer show, I think Devin and Scott really had a chance to shine, too.

I liked the Orange Peel a lot, too. It was probably my favorite venue of the week. Everyone there was really nice, and they had two of my favorite beers on tap.

Here's the set list:

Build

He Still Carries A Torch For Her

Fly, Fly

Vamp

Blues, Too

Lullabye for Ian

Thurston County

Confection

Exiled

Attempted

Something About David H.

I feel like I might've forgotten a song from the first set. Like I said, they had two of my favorite beers on tap... I'll have an excerpt of He Still Carries A Torch and almost all of Vamp up on youtube by the end of today. The lighting wasn't too good, but the sound quality is excellent.

It was nice to meet you, too, Matt. :wave

It was nice to meet you, too, Matt. :wave

Glad to see you made it back safely. My wife wanted to apologize for being a bit of a sloppy drunk after the show. She doesn't drink very often and often embarrasses herself when she's had too much. She certainly embarrassed me. :blush

But it's all good, and we had a wonderful time that we won't forget. See ya next time.

Don't worry about it. I was pretty far gone by then, too, which I blame on you, since you were the one who told me about Barley's!

I know, and we didn't even get to go to Barleys! We got held up in Greenville (childcare issue) and didn't make it to Asheville until just before the show. But yes, Barleys will do that to you. :lol

Fly, Fly. Damn. I'm jealous. Deepsea turned me onto that tune awhile back and JEESH...just insane. :worship

The Giant Pin is my favorite of their albums. I think it's got some of their most straightforward jazz songs, like Fly, Fly and Blues, Too, but it's also got a bunch of really lovely ballads, and in the middle of them, blending in perfectly, is the great rocker He Still Carries A Torch For Her. Draw Breath might show their diversity just as well, but I think The Giant Pin is more even. It was the first album they sold out of this week, so it seems to be their most popular, too.

I need to find my copy of New Monastery. I listened to it only once or twice last year when I got it, and I've since misplaced it. I found the case last week, but the CD wasn't in it, which means it's probably loose in one of the boxes I still haven't unpacked. Hearing Dedication and Reconciliation so many times this past week made me think I'll like it a lot more than I originally did if I revisit it.