Thoughts on a stock jazzmaster's pickups?

I've been thinking about changing my stock jazzy's pickups for Jason Lollars. The bridge pick up in particular to me just sounds sort of weak and twangy. Thoughts?

I've been considering doing the same thing -- Lollars or Curtis Novak. I've heard that the pickups in the AVRI Fenders are supposed to be pretty good. However, I am kind of a believer that most stock pickups -- especially on Fenders, are kinda crappy.

I've been considering doing the same thing -- Lollars or Curtis Novak. I've heard that the pickups in the AVRI Fenders are supposed to be pretty good. However, I am kind of a believer that most stock pickups -- especially on Fenders, are kinda crappy.

I am a firm believer of the same. I think I'm gonna go with the Lollars. I dunno much about Fralins, but I've heard that they're bitchin'. However, I like Lollars personally.

a.miller, what year/model of jazzmaster do you have?

a.miller, what year/model of jazzmaster do you have?

I have a 2007 (I think -- got it for xmas) 1962 American Vintage Reissue. It is this one. Really, the more I play it the more I like it. I can get some strat tones out of it, but it seems to be a "softer" sounding guitar. A lot of strats sound too metallic to my ears. The Jazzmaster sounds good, but I think it could sound even better. Let me know how those pickups treat you. What model is yours?

Edit: It's a MiM Classic player's one. Dunno why I said vintage reissue, I'm too poor to afford that. Before you put me down for buying MiM, it plays REALLY well, and maybe I'm just not a big enough guitar buff, but I can't tell if there's much of a difference between this one and American ones I've played. I'd agree with you on the strats - too metallic. Jazzmasters sound great. I love how mine can go from soft to rock-your-socks-off in an instant, but it could be better, and I'll certainly let you know how the pickups sound.

Before you put me down for buying MiM, it plays REALLY well, and maybe I'm just not a big enough guitar buff, but I can't tell if there's much of a difference between this one and American ones I've played.

No negative thoughts from me about MIM Fenders. They are awesome instruments -- really no difference than the American ones.

A few months ago I bought an American Vintage Reissue Jazzmaster. I think the pickups sound great. They have a much stronger mid-range than my Strats and Teles. Jason Lollar makes amazing pickups, but I don't think I'm going to swap the ones in my Jazzmaster. However, I do have Jason Lollar pickups in my Bill Nash guitar (second picture).

Jazzmaster1.jpg

AAFull.jpg

Hmmm, does anyone here know how to decrease the tone pot value on a Jazzy? I'd certainly like to try that if I'm able.

You mean replace the pot? Like from 250K to 500K or something? One thing you can try is raising and lowering your pickups also....to augment your sound.

Mm, yeah, but I'll probably just have the guitar technician I know do that for me when I have him put in the new pickups. Would raising or lowering the pickups reduce brightness at all or add bass/mids? Don't think so, but then again, I've never tried it.

Mm, yeah, but I'll probably just have the guitar technician I know do that for me when I have him put in the new pickups. Would raising or lowering the pickups reduce brightness at all or add bass/mids? Don't think so, but then again, I've never tried it.

Good idea on the guitar tech -- JMs have some funky wiring with the separate rhythm circuit. You might be able to remove some of the brightness by lowering the treble side of the pickup(s), thus making them pickup the treble tones less.

Which side of the bridge pickup would be the treble side? :stunned

The side closest to the higher strings (G, B, E). JM pickups are a little odd though, with the screws on the front and the back, as opposed to the ends (like a strat). I would just screw in the screws, on the front and back of the pickup, that are closest to the higher strings on the guitar.