MLB 2008 Part 3, Take 2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tigers needed bullpen help bad, but I wonder if they could have done better. I'm not sure Farnsworth can help them enough right now to make it worth the draft picks they would have gotten if Pudge walked from the Tigers at the end of the year.

I'm not sure Farnsworth can help them enough right now to make it worth the draft picks they would have gotten if Pudge walked from the Tigers at the end of the year.

Seems doubtul that 1.3 years or whatever of Kyle Farnsworth would be better than 2 draft picks, but who knows.

Pretty helpful for the Yanks with Posada gone.

They also have Molina. And Moeller. I suppose Pudge's bat is better than either of those two (and he's still got a nice throw to second), but isn't he notorious for not getting along with pitchers/being difficult with calling pitches?

Buster Olney reports "serious" talk between FLA/BOS for Manny trade:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?..._trade_deadline

ed. Gammons saying a possible three-way deal involving FLA/BOS/PIT (Jason Bay) could happen, too.

ed.2: Sox trying but no bat to protect Ortiz in line up worthy yet:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds..._tryingbut.html

Having more money doesn't automatically make a team better, but it makes it a whole lot easier for them to get better.

Agreed, plus the xtra cash allows the big spenders to take risks. Ive seen the sox make some moves that would really hurt other teams financially (edgar rent-a-wreck anyone).

And on the manny front, I see how the trade could work for florida only being a few games outta a playoff spot. If jason bay ends up in boston Id be content, if the sox don't get another bat the trade just wouldnt make sense. This isnt 2005-06, there is no need to retool or anything. Personally I say finish off the year and spend the xtra cash next year

And on the manny front, I see how the trade could work for florida only being a few games outta a playoff spot. If jason bay ends up in boston Id be content, if the sox don't get another bat the trade just wouldnt make sense. This isnt 2005-06, there is no need to retool or anything. Personally I say finish off the year and spend the xtra cash next year

Of course they'll need another bat, but the bigger issue is that the front office apparently wants to move Manny due to all the issues surrounding him; most important his contract coming up for renewal and his public bitching about it.

ed. Who knows. At least Theo can say he tried to Manny, even if they don't really want to move him.

get this done. Foe numerous reasons.

I am not in favor of this trade, obv.

Posted by Gordon Edes, Boston Globe Staff July 30, 2008 06:18 PM

OK, I'm hearing and reading the same thing you guys are on Manny and the Marlins. All I can tell you, gentle readers, is that it flies in the face of everything I've been told in the last hour-plus. Anything is possible, but I can't see it.

Pretty harsh words from Manny to the Sox front office before tonight's game:

"The Red Sox don't deserve a player like me," Ramirez said. "During my years here I've seen how they [the Red Sox] have mistreated other great players when they didn't want them to try to turn the fans against them.

"The Red Sox did the same with guys like Nomar Garciaparra and Pedro Martinez, and now they do the same with me. Their goal is to paint me as the bad guy," Ramirez added. "I love Boston fans, but the Red Sox don't deserve me. I'm not talking about money. Mental peace has no price and I don't have peace here."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3511804

Pretty harsh words from Manny to the Sox front office before tonight's game:

"The Red Sox don't deserve a player like me," Ramirez said. "During my years here I've seen how they [the Red Sox] have mistreated other great players when they didn't want them to try to turn the fans against them.

"The Red Sox did the same with guys like Nomar Garciaparra and Pedro Martinez, and now they do the same with me. Their goal is to paint me as the bad guy," Ramirez added. "I love Boston fans, but the Red Sox don't deserve me. I'm not talking about money. Mental peace has no price and I don't have peace here."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3511804

G-zus.