MLB 2008 Part 3, Take 2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're gonna play the last game ever at Yankee Stadium on Sunday. Anyone here give a crap? At baseball-fever.com there's talk about how cheap (kinda - under $200) tickets can be had at stubhub. I realize it lacks the charm of Wrigley or Fenway, but there's been a lot of history at the Stadium.

I give a little bit of a crap, but in New York, money generally trumps sentimentality, even though a lot more baseball history happened at Yankee Stadium than either Wrigley or Fenway.

Unless you buy the argument that it isn't really the same stadium that Ruth and Gehrig played in, which is sort of half true.

Half, if that. The renovation was substantial (and needed), but it's not as drastic as ripping the whole thing down and starting over.

Half, if that. The renovation was substantial (and needed), but it's not as drastic as ripping the whole thing down and starting over.

I used to go to NYY games at Shea in the mid-70s during that renovation period. It's always sentimental seeing an old park being tossed to the wayside of newer parks. Yankee Stadium obviously does have a lot of history but it's still pretty dump-y and it's time.

As my handle might indicate, my loyalties are split - I was a Mets fan until they traded Tug to the Phils. Part of me was pulling for the Mets to make the postseason and the Yanks to miss, with all the love that's been heaped on YS and Shea being pretty much ignored.

Yanks are toast. Are the Mets collapsing again?

Gotta hand it to the Phils - they seem to have more fight in them.

I fucking hate Betancourt. He's had like 6 full counts already, and he's not even been in an inning.

I feel for the Mets, though. Get your shit together!

I feel for Willie Randolph. The guy gets pegged as part of the problem when the same issues have arisen this year: bullpen. They are sketchy and overworked. What's changed (much) since last season? Offense is still solid, relief pitching is trouble. Maybe Minaya was the one that needed to go...?

If Willie had stayed, they wouldn't be in contention at all. Omar probably won't get fired, but he had better do something to address the bullpen besides giving K-Rod all the money on Earth.

Every time the Mets bullpen implodes, K-Rod's asking price gets a little higher. I hope he sends a nice card to Billy Wagner.

And...?

Sort of late on this, but I just stumbled on this nugget at FJM:

Interesting note from the latest Gammons piece:

In Ramirez's first 40 games, the Dodgers had a run differential of plus-22 and averaged 4.55 runs per game, as opposed to 4.43 through July 31....It's hard to talk about the MVP Award for Manny when the team that paid the Dodgers to take Ramirez is 27-13 without him through Sunday and have seen their runs per game increase from 4.94 at the time of the deal to 6.22 since.

# posted by Junior : 9/14/2008 8:34 PM