so Ray Lamontagne is coming to Chicago...

I love this guy, especially his first album, and he's got a new one coming out (Gossip in the Grain), which I am very much looking forward to. Ticket's for him at Chicago Theater are close to $40, which is pretty high for me, but I am willing.

Has anyone seen him live before? I hear he like's to separate himself from the audience, so that's kind of discouraging, but nonetheless all his live recordings sound just as passionate as his album. Anyone else interested?

when is this show? i would love more info. the live recordings of his i have found are indeed incredible. i think i have a video of his from the bbc, if i'm not mistaken, and it;s one of the most heartfelt performances i've ever seen

gotta be on a fucking Wednesday

I like Ray LaMontagne a lot, and while I'd definitely try to see him if I had the chance, I can't say I'd be willing to pay $40 to see him. For some reason, I'm also really surprised to see he's playing at the Ryman. He just doesn't seem that popular. I've been wrong before, though.

I have quite a few live recordings of his, and he sounds pretty intense live. I'm sure it will be a great show. His new album comes out this fall, doesn't it? October, I think?

I've only seen him once and that was as an opener for Guster (after he blew up at a/some fan(s) at a Nashville show) at Wolf Trap, which is a smaller shed. So I don't know if those are the best circumstances, especially since he left the tour early shortly after that, but I wasn't blown away by him live. Of course he didn't have a lot working in his favor for that type of show. I still love that first album though. I think seeing him as a headliner would probably make for a better show. He does kind of stay detached and doesn't have a whole lot to say in between songs, but he does sound great live. And I wouldn't discourage anyone from seeing him based on my isolated experience when he played as an opener on a tour he was all too happy to leave early.

i found the video i have from BBC4, and its phenomenal.

PM me if you are interested . Full horn section too, i might add

Seen him 5 times, first time in a room of about 50 people. He's notorious for being difficult, but is an A+ performer if he's not in a room full of drunks. From what I've heard and read he's gotten a lot more comfortable in his skin, but I guess the tour will have to start before we see if that's true or not.

Seen him 5 times, first time in a room of about 50 people. He's notorious for being difficult, but is an A+ performer if he's not in a room full of drunks. From what I've heard and read he's gotten a lot more comfortable in his skin, but I guess the tour will have to start before we see if that's true or not.

What exactly do you mean by being difficult? Is it hard for him, or the people at the venue?

I've never seen him live but he did a segment on that show "Live from Abbey Road" on Sundance or Ovation or one of those other channels. I haven't done a YouTube search for it but maybe the website for the show has a link to the performance or something.

Oh, he was pretty good if I remember correctly.

What exactly do you mean by being difficult? Is it hard for him, or the people at the venue?

he's one of the artists that has a hard time with himself/crowds/anxiety. think Jay Farrar, but more extreme

I love "Empty" sooooo much.

Turns out I will be in Chicago that week, most of the time alone as the man will be in a conference. He said he absolutely won't see this show with me. Maybe I will go alone.

Chicago people, we are staying @ the Hyatt on the Chicago River and Lake Michigan....hear this is a good spot. Guess I'll have to ask for good eating spots closer to that date.

• 1 month later...
Ticket's for him at Chicago Theater are close to $40, which is pretty high for me, but I am willing.
How is this considered high for the Chicago Theater?? It might be high for the dumpy Riv or slightly less dumpy Vic, but there is alot of upkeep on the Chicago.

LouieB

I saw him almost two years ago and loved the show. He was headlining, and Tristan Prettyman opened. It's true, he didn't interact much with the audience, but it was an intense, heartfelt performance. So much so that listening to his recorded stuff doesn't quite cut it for me anymore. I'm glad you decided to go; you'll get your $40-worth.

i bypassed ticketmaster when i got my tix to see him in madison next month. that saved some $$$ . can;t wait, after watching the BBC performance again, i know it's gonna be worth every penny