Embarrassing movies, good music

The Leonard Cohen thread got me to thinking about when I was first introduced to his music. It was through the early 90's movie Pump Up the Volume. I also got into Concrete Blonde and the Pixies after watching it. Wave of Mutilation(UK surf version) is still my favorite Pixies song. Anyway, any pretenses of sophistication I have over being a Leonard Cohen fan has to go out the window when viewed in light of this information. Right? Any confessions out there? Talk Hard.

No confessions, but I've always wondered how many fans the Replacements earned through the movie Can't Hardly Wait. Seems like a weird movie to carry a Replacements song as its title. Jennifer Love Hewitt and the Replacements should have a few more degrees of separation between them.

The Leonard Cohen thread got me to thinking about when I was first introduced to his music. It was through the early 90's movie Pump Up the Volume.
:yay Me too! And it was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread title. Slater's character was such a fox in that movie, not so much in appearance but that whole "talk hard" business got to me. "Everybody Knows" is a fantastic tune.
:yay Me too! And it was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread title. Slater's character was such a fox in that movie, not so much in appearance but that whole "talk hard" business got to me. "Everybody Knows" is a fantastic tune.

I was really disappointed when I bought the soundtrack for the song "Everybody Knows" and found that it wasn't being sung by the guy with the really deep voice. I had to delve deeper to find out who that guy was, but I developed an appreciation for Concrete Blonde. I thought Samantha Mathis was a cutie in that movie. Kind of like a nerdy Winona Ryder.

The Leonard Cohen thread got me to thinking about when I was first introduced to his music. It was through the early 90's movie Pump Up the Volume. I also got into Concrete Blonde and the Pixies after watching it. Wave of Mutilation(UK surf version) is still my favorite Pixies song. Anyway, any pretenses of sophistication I have over being a Leonard Cohen fan has to go out the window when viewed in light of this information. Right? Any confessions out there? Talk Hard.
Must be a "generation gap" here.....the best place to get an intro to Cohen's music is the not lousy "McCabe and Mrs. Miller".....I didn't get my intro to him there, but it is a great place to hear a good soundtrack of his music.

LouieB

No confessions, but I've always wondered how many fans the Replacements earned through the movie Can't Hardly Wait. Seems like a weird movie to carry a Replacements song as its title. Jennifer Love Hewitt and the Replacements should have a few more degrees of separation between them.

Ironically, yesterday I finally came across my copy of All For Nothing/Nothing For All, which I had searched for a few times at random points over the past 4 years or so. I loved that movie in high school and when I checked out the song that it had been presumably titled after, found a sweet band too. That's the only thing I own by them but I really liked it, and was pretty disappointed when I thought I had lost it. Finding it made my day yesterday.

So there you go, there's at least one.

Ironically, yesterday I finally came across my copy of All For Nothing/Nothing For All, which I had searched for a few times at random points over the past 4 years or so. I loved that movie in high school and when I checked out the song that it had been presumably titled after, found a sweet band too. That's the only thing I own by them but I really liked it, and was pretty disappointed when I thought I had lost it. Finding it made my day yesterday.

So there you go, there's at least one.

If you like All For Nothing/Nothing For All AND you found your way to a Wilco discussion board, you're almost guaranteed to like all Replacements. You should really pick them up. Here's my order of preference:

Let it Be

Hootenanny

Tim

Please To Meet Me

Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash

Don't Tell a Soul

Stink

All Shook Down