Deerhoof 10/17/08 - Metro, Chicago, IL

I'll keep this quite simple.

Number one, Deerhoof is simply awesome live. They're super-talented and really, a complete package live. And with a drummer like that, there's always something impressive going on.

Most of the songs off the new release, "Offend Maggie", made an appearance (not the title track sadly). The rest of the set was an even mix of "Friend Opportunity" back through "Apple O." I was kind of disappointed we didn't get anything off "Reveille," but the set was still very strong. At times I almost thought a mosh pit was going to break out up front the way the younger members of the audience starting jumping.

Also, my friend and I arrived at the venue during the first band's set. The place was maybe 1/3 full at the time and we kind of took up station back by the soundboard. And who should walk in a few minutes prior to the start of Deerhoof's set and park himself right in front of me? Nels Cline. And judging from the way he was bouncing up and down through the whole show (and playing a bit of air guitar at times), it was obvious he's a big fan and enjoyed the hour-long set as much as I did.

And did I mention I just happened to be wearing a Wilco shirt?

In any case, great show, great crowd. I can't wait until they come around again.

caught em in seattle, LOVE that they're a quartet again. new dude fucking tears. he soars. he chars. etc.

their encore was "offend maggie" (instrumental) > "holy night fever" > "my purple past" so i guess they must be changing their sets on this tour? i was sad to miss 'snoopy waves'.

caught em in seattle, LOVE that they're a quartet again. new dude fucking tears. he soars. he chars. etc.

their encore was "offend maggie" (instrumental) > "holy night fever" > "my purple past" so i guess they must be changing their sets on this tour? i was sad to miss 'snoopy waves'.

We got Snoopy Waves as the opener (if memory serves), but the encore was "Basketball, Get Your Groove Back." My one complaint was that they only played for approx. 60 minutes. Still great, but I would have killed for Holy Night Fever.