Merl sitting in with the JGB portion of the Garcia tribute Comes A Time three years ago, sharing keys with Melvin, on the one tune he did that day, "Deal." I remember he was pretty much using just one hand. What a youthful look, though!

merl-and-melvin.jpg

Oh man. This is such sad news. I loved Merl. A nicer guy you'd never meet.

A brief Merl story that will tell you what a sweet human being this man was: when Jerry came out of his coma in July '86 the illness had completely robbed him of his ability to play. Couldn't remember ANYTHING about how to play. Merl began visiting the Garcia house every day, and slowly and painstakingly got Jerry to begin playing - first real simple stuff, and later more and more complex stuff. They'd play for an hour then take a short walk down the sidewalk, then back to playin'. Carolyn (MG) was amazed, and so grateful at his generosity. And as we all know, by the end of the year he was BACK - 1987 was one of the finest years for us old timers to be a Head - every night was a celebration of JG's recovery, and the rebirth of the band.

RIP Merl

Oh man. This is such sad news. I loved Merl. A nicer guy you'd never meet.

A brief Merl story that will tell you what a sweet human being this man was: when Jerry came out of his coma in July '86 the illness had completely robbed him of his ability to play. Couldn't remember ANYTHING about how to play. Merl began visiting the Garcia house every day, and slowly and painstakingly got Jerry to begin playing - first real simple stuff, and later more and more complex stuff. They'd play for an hour then take a short walk down the sidewalk, then back to playin'. Carolyn (MG) was amazed, and so grateful at his generosity. And as we all know, by the end of the year he was BACK - 1987 was one of the finest years for us old timers to be a Head - every night was a celebration of JG's recovery, and the rebirth of the band.

RIP Merl

Nice story. I hadn't heard that. I was 16 in '87 but dating someone close to the band and did the fall '87 east coast tour Almost Famous style. Jerry was so happy to just be alive and playing. To now be able to attribute at least some of that to Merl gives me newfound appreciation for a genuine sweetheart of a man. Thanks!

From the Philzone:

"Get Up & Dance":

http://www.philzone.com/merl-recon-get-up-...-1979-03-30.mp3

And merlsaunders.com:

Message from Merl Saunders' family:

Merl Saunders stood for music and love - his smile alone told you that.

We loved him very much - and we know that you, his fans, did too.

Sad as we are to lose him, we're very aware of being comforted by the affection

coming from all those touched by that smile and that wonderful music.

He was a special man, a beautiful companion, father, grandfather, and family patriarch,

and the proof of that spirit is in the way you've reached out to us at his passing.

From our hearts, thank you. And we know Merl thanks you too.

Keep on keepin'on,

The Saunders Family

A memorial service will be held on Wednesday, October 29th, at 11 am

at First AME Zion Church, 2159 Golden Gate Ave., San Francisco.