The Complete Arista Recordings of Anthony Braxton

Isn't the internet amazing. While checking out info on the Cline Brothers new albums on here I checked out the Greenleaf Music website, since they are handling these releases and while checking their site out I found a note that Mosaic has released all of the Anthony Braxton material on Arista, which is long out of print. While I doubt I will buy these, it is really great that this material has re-surfaced and is available again.

Life is very short...it seems like only yesterday that I bought several of these (many had already been cut out) and was lucky enough to see Anthony in those days as well. Now he looks like an elder statesman of music, but in those days he was a young lion.

LouieB

That is fantastic. I've always dug Braxton's work. I have a few Mosaic sets, all are great, and this looks to be no different.

Thank you Lou! :wub I must put this on my Xmas list.

Opus 23c - with Hemphill, Lake and Bluett - Good Lord, I NEED to hear this!

• 1 month later...

While not too many people read this thread, I found this article in the Chicago Reader intriguing. It is particularly interesting in that it talks about the resources that Arista put out to do these initial recordings and how unwilling major labels are to engage in this kind of recording any longer.

LouieB

I thought about buying this set when it came out a few months ago, since I only have one Braxton disk: it being the (Victoriaville) 1992 disk. He is definitely someone I always wanted to delve into to.

I am afraid it will open up a can of worms of buying a lot more of his stuff if I get this set...he has so many recordings.

But the set does look very interesting.

I am afraid it will open up a can of worms of buying a lot more of his stuff if I get this set...he has so many recordings.

Frankly this may be all you will ever need. These albums are his major life work in a sense. Certainly you can collect a jillion albums by this guy, but these recordings are what he is most famous for.

LouieB

Oh man, this is sweet. Braxton is amazing.

Indeed. On the LP "Complete Braxton '71" (an Arista release) there is a track on there that has AB overdubbing 4 saxes - I LOVES me some World Saxophone Quartet, but what he does on that track almost puts them to shame. It's truly mind blowing.

Frankly this may be all you will ever need. These albums are his major life work in a sense. Certainly you can collect a jillion albums by this guy, but these recordings are what he is most famous for.

LouieB

Okay, just placed my order. You gotta love the Holiday season. You can always rationalize purchases as being a gift for yourself. Plus, we are supposed to be stimulating the economy, right?

But like I stated previously, Braxton was always someone I wanted to listen to more closely.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of buying this, but finally got around to checking my Braxton records and realized I have much of this (not all) on vinyl including:

Alto Sax Improvisations, 1979

For Trio 1978

Montreaux/Berlin Concerts 1977

Duets 1976

Creative Orchestra Music 1976

I also have Duet and Trios on Sackville and this time on Actuel.

Guess I should listen to these sometime...

LouieB

The LP Series F (on Inner City records) is worth having, if only for side two. 18 minutes of just bizarro otherworldly sounds, all on solo sax. There's points where it sounds like someone sawing through a block of wood, jet planes taking off, etc. Jeesh. When I put that stuff on everyone in the house detests me. :lol

Just got the set on Friday. Will start listening to the Arista stuff this afternoon. As a precursor to the Arista listening, I bought For Alto and 3 Compositions of New Jazz on the Delmark Label. Just one listening, thus far of both, but the For Alto disc is really great. The sound/production of both discs are also great - it sounds like you in the room with him playing. On For Alto, I also found it interesting that Braxton dedicated each piece to a person, something that Ken Vandermark does with all his pieces that he writes.

Anyway looking forward to getting into the box set...and when my wife is at home while I am listening to this type of music, I use my headphones. The music kinda drives her "batty".

Calvino - I haven't yet pulled the trigger on this box set so I'd be interested in your take on this. Especially the piece with 3 of the 4 WSQ guys (Lake, Hemphill & Bluett). Happy listening! :thumbup

Calvino - I haven't yet pulled the trigger on this box set so I'd be interested in your take on this. Especially the piece with 3 of the 4 WSQ guys (Lake, Hemphill & Bluett). Happy listening! :thumbup

Those were the days. Just looking at the cast of characters on these albums the other day makes me nostalgic. As mentioned in the various reviews of this material, it wouldn't even be possible to put out records like this on a mainstream label, much less assemble many of the most important players in improv in a run like this.

LouieB

http://destination-out.com/?paged=2

The above is a link to a blog. An entry by Nicole Mitchell regarding Braxton is there, that is pretty interesting.

Listening to Berlin/Switzerland Concerts reminds me a lot of the Vandermark 5. I know Braxton is a huge influence on Vandermark; it's very evident listening to these cd's.

Braxton's contrabass clarinet playing in this set, thus far has been the highlight for me. I haven't heard that horn played very much (if ever) and it sounds great, especially on Opus 40(P), where he duets with Abrams.

Anyway it has been a very enjoyable experience, thus far. This box set will take a few run throughs, to get it all in.

• 3 years later...

Can't find the jazz thread that got rather lengthy (dumb search function) - anyway I purchased the below. Mosaic is really good at sending emails, stating "supplies are about all out -- order now"... I have been trying to avoid purchasing this set, because the last thing I need is another box set.

Looking forward to it - the only Basie stuff I have is the Complete Decca 1937-39 set. I think the Decca set is the only stuff I have that has Lester Young on it - though I know I have Billie Holiday comp. - I am sure he is on that, too.

The Braxton and Threadgill Mosaic sets are great, I am sure this one will be great, too. Plus I know my wife won't object if I play this Young set when she is around, which is plus - for some reason she does not appreciate Braxton and Threadgill in the same manner as I do.

239.jpg

I bought this set when I read about it in the New Yorker a year or so ago. Great stuff. I am sure it overlaps with the Columbia Lester Young Story LPs, but this seems to have lots of alternate versions and outtakes. I keep trolling eBay for Mosaic sets, but most go for more than I want to pay. (actually I did find a reasonable copy of the Blue Note Bud Powell recordings.) If you aren't familiar with this material, it is really great and fun. Not that kind of stuff that we talk about here much, but a great introduction to this period and Pres' work. It is not dissimilar from the Decca material though, just somewhat later in the Basie/Young band's discography. And yes, Lester is prominent on any Billie Holiday recordings.

This matieral will NOT get you thrown out of the house (at least by most people) whereas the Braxton and Treadgill may. At this late date it is difficult to tell how the Basie/Young material was revolutionary for its time, considering it pre-dates bebop. So it is well within most people's comfort zone.

(Green Mill next Wednesday? )

LouieB

Probably won't make up to Green Mill, next Wed. I never heard of Alfonso Ponticelli and Swing Gitan - they look interesting though. Looks like they have the regular Wed. slot - which is always good (having a steady gig). It seems like we discussed Ponticelli, before.

My next hopeful gig out will be at the Hideout, Wed., March 21st. The name of this band sounds like a Stephen King or some horror book.

March 21st

Throne of the House of Good and Evil

The Hideout

1354 W Wabansia Ave

10PM - $10

Rob Mazurek - cornet

Matt Lux - electric bass

John Herndon - drums

Probably won't make up to Green Mill, next Wed. I never heard of Alfonso Ponticelli and Swing Gitan - they look interesting though. Looks like they have the regular Wed. slot - which is always good (having a steady gig). It seems like we discussed Ponticelli, before.

My next hopeful gig out will be at the Hideout, Wed., March 21st. The name of this band sounds like a Stephen King or some horror book.

That looks like a good show too. A bit late for a work night, but remind me. Too much to do in this burg.

Actually I was going to go tonight, but one of the folks who wanted to go is sick. Still kind of late on a work night, but what the hell.

LouieB

Got my set yesterday - does sound great. As usual, the Mosaic bunch did a great job mastering/producing. I have an Ellingston set from the same era that I don't listen to all that much because the shrill of the horns gets a bit hard to listen to.

Lou - any idea where the Chicago dates were recorded at. A few of the sessions on disc 1 were recorded here, but the name of the studio's are not listed. For some reason I though everything was recorded in NYC, for the most part, back in the 20s/30s and early 40s. A few dates were recorded in LA, also.

Baring the names of studios, the liner notes are great, per usual.

Interesting question. So many times I look at reissues of music frojm all genres that list Chicago as the origin of the music. The really famous studios such as Columbia in NYC or RCA and Nashville, Sun in Memphis or Parmount in Grafton Wisc, Rudy Van Gelder in NJ,, Chess on Michicagn Ave, etc. are all pretty clear, but the rest?? It would be interesting to know. Certainly a whole ton of stuff was recorded here. It could well have been in radio studios, hotel ballrooms, or some other hall. I have no idea.

LouieB