Not obvious choices, but heavy in my recent rotation:

d61808x7492.jpg

2005263561152253348_rs.jpg

TrioOfDoomToDCD.jpg

Whoa. I've never heard that McLaughlin/Jaco/Williams record. That sounds like something I would LOVE.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa. I've never heard that McLaughlin/Jaco/Williams record. That sounds like something I would LOVE.

That just came out last year. It's a live recording from the '80s if I remember correctly (with two or three studio tracks thrown in).

It's wailing and defintiely worth hearing if you're a fan of any of those guys, but where John and Tony are concerned, the first two Tony Williams Lifetime albums are better.

That just came out last year. It's a live recording from the '80s if I remember correctly (with two or three studio tracks thrown in).

It's wailing and defintiely worth hearing if you're a fan of any of those guys, but where John and Tony are concerned, the first two Tony Williams Lifetime albums are better.

it's really more of a bonus EP that gives us a peak at what could have been. was it recorded in the 80s? if so, great sound for that era. sounds 70s to me. i wish mclaughlin would do something like this before he dies. a phat power trio of fusion with jonas hellborg on bass and maybe jeff sipe on drums :dancing

it's really more of a bonus EP that gives us a peak at what could have been. was it recorded in the 80s? if so, great sound for that era. sounds 70s to me. i wish mclaughlin would do something like this before he dies. a phat power trio of fusion with jonas hellborg on bass and maybe jeff sipe on drums :dancing

No, I was wrong. It's from a concert recorded in Havana in 1979. I recall the liner notes saying something about some problems they had recording it, but I can't remember the details. Something about the some of the drum mics cutting out or just not working at all, which I think is why they never released it until recently.

I agree that McLaughlin should do another electric trio. I don't know much about Jonas Hellborg, but Jeff Sipe is incredible. I used to see him with Col. Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit a lot. Good call.

No, I was wrong. It's from a concert recorded in Havana in 1979. I recall the liner notes saying something about some problems they had recording it, but I can't remember the details. Something about the some of the drum mics cutting out or just not working at all, which I think is why they never released it until recently.

I agree that McLaughlin should do another electric trio. I don't know much about Jonas Hellborg, but Jeff Sipe is incredible. I used to see him with Col. Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit a lot. Good call.

hellborg is a great bass player in the vein of jaco. he has done a lot of projects with sipe. the best is called Temporal Analogues. its a trio with shawn lane. lane is a metal shredder. its just two long jams. they have it on emusic.

hellborg is a great bass player in the vein of jaco. he has done a lot of projects with sipe. the best is called Temporal Analogues. its a trio with shawn lane. lane is a metal shredder. its just two long jams. they have it on emusic.

hellborg was actually the bass player on mclaughlin's vishnu redux in 1984. that would've been a pretty good album if not for the cheezy synths! all those guys just couldn't help themselves in the 80s.

I saw McLaughlin play acoustically with a band around '88. His drummer (or percussionist) was a guy named Trelok Gurtu (sp?). I'll tell you what - that man was a killer! I think he's also played in latter versions of Oregon - a really great band imo.

incidently, i also like ECM. is that a guilty pleasure?
ECM is not a guilty pleasure really is it? Lots of great records on ECM going back 30 years. If anything ECM is pretty old music.

Clearly Sun Ra, Braxton, and other forms of less traditional inprovisational music is jazz. Sun Ra played mainstream during his early days and his bands were always based on a a big band model.

LouieB

I saw McLaughlin play acoustically with a band around '88. His drummer (or percussionist) was a guy named Trelok Gurtu (sp?). I'll tell you what - that man was a killer! I think he's also played in latter versions of Oregon - a really great band imo.

I was front row center for that tour. They opened for Andy Summers (we only stuck around for a couple of his songs). I forget who McLaughlin's bassist was. I seem to recall a double neck bass. Trilok was amazing. He had the most unorthodox percussion setup I've ever seen.

trilok_gurtu_2big.jpg

Also a big fan of Oregon and, more precisely, Ralph Towner. Listen to Solstice often - maybe the most beautiful of the ECMs.

Also a big fan of Oregon and, more precisely, Ralph Towner. Listen to Solstice often - maybe the most beautiful of the ECMs.

i like oregon too. pretty mellow, but a enough going on to make it interesting. i really want to get into more ralph towner.

my post about ecm being a guilty pleasure was kind of a joke. i really like metheny's records from that label. he can be a little cheezy, but damn the guys melodies just move my soul.

A close friend of mine saw them at a place called Amazing Grace in Evanston way back when. Colin Walcott was still with them then.

Much of the Towner material on ECM is very good. Wide Sargasso See with John Abercrombie is one of my old favorites. The beauty of ECM is it was very popular and put out great vinyl records that are still widely available used.

A close friend of mine saw them at a place called Amazing Grace in Evanston way back when. Colin Walcott was still with them then.

That could be me. I saw the original line-up of Oregon at least a couple times at Amazingrace (spelled that way by the way, where I saw tons of other great acts during their years in opperation, still one of my favorite clubs of all time....). They were quite good. I also saw the above mentioned Abercrombie and Towner duet and maybe a solo Towner as well as I recall. Saw a whole bunch of the ECM crowd at Amazingrace, including Keith Jarrett, Eberhard Weber, Pat Matheny (with Gary Burton the first time), Steve Kuhn and frankly I can't remember who else at this point. Amazingrace was a sit on the floor type of place (soft carpet) with chairs in the back and a nice wrap around balcony. Saw Sonny Rollins there a couple times I think and some other jazz acts. Great place, well run and no smoking or eating. They lost their lease at the beginning of the 80s and closed down sadly.

LouieB

Much of the Towner material on ECM is very good. Wide Sargasso See with John Abercrombie is one of my old favorites. The beauty of ECM is it was very popular and put out great vinyl records that are still widely available used.

LouieB

Just picked up a mint copy of Abercrombie's Timeless (w/ Hammer and DeJohnette) last week. One of my favorite albums ever, not only because of the performances, but it was one of the first jazz albums I bought when I started listening to jazz back in the early 70s. A little more fusion(y) than most of the ECMs, but just as captivating.

Just picked up a mint copy of Abercrombie's Timeless (w/ Hammer and DeJohnette) last week. One of my favorite albums ever, not only because of the performances, but it was one of the first jazz albums I bought when I started listening to jazz back in the early 70s. A little more fusion(y) than most of the ECMs, but just as captivating.

Hey...welcome back.....

LouieB

This Japanese website has record sleeves and liner notes for many Blue Note LPs: http://www.gokudo.co.jp/Record/BlueNote1/index.htm

Though slightly off-topic, it's pretty interesting even to the casual jazz fan.

Cool stuff...

People forget that before Blue Note became the home of hard-bop it was a tradtional jazz label.

LouieB

Much of the Towner material on ECM is very good.

LouieB

Did Towner recently put out a new album? Possibly a guitar/piano duo album? I heard a Towner track on the radio on the local Sunday morning jazz show, and it was really good.

Did Towner recently put out a new album? Possibly a guitar/piano duo album? I heard a Towner track on the radio on the local Sunday morning jazz show, and it was really good.

Towner's more recent albums are mainly solo guitar works, ending with Time Line, released in 2006.

You may have heard a piece off Diary, where he accompanied himself with piano overdubs. It was one of his first solo albums.

Gonna have to go home and root around the stacks..I think I have Diary, but honestly not sure. Towner's stuff is all good, mellow mostly.

(I am always shocked when I see recent pics of these guys I saw when I was in my 20s. Towner had a big bushy head of dark hair as I remember, I have no idea what he looks like now and not going out to find a pic...)

LouieB

You may have heard a piece off Diary, where he accompanied himself with piano overdubs. It was one of his first solo albums.

Interesting concept. That could be what I heard. Maybe I can find the playlist on the radio station's website. Thanks for the info.

(I am always shocked when I see recent pics of these guys I saw when I was in my 20s. Towner had a big bushy head of dark hair as I remember, I have no idea what he looks like now and not going out to find a pic...)

LouieB

Circa 2006

towner200.jpg

EDIT: Wait, I jumped the gun. Here's one from 2008:

JNIAN_10.jpg

Same pants?