i'm kinda in a jazz phase and getting into some of the new post-bop stuff out there: chris potter, dave douglas, bad plus, MMW, happy apple. all of it blowing my mind and i can't believe i have the attention span for it. so, anybody into this or into other things i need to know about?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like MMW I would highly recommend an East Coast band called Schleigho. The live CD "Live at Hoe Down 2000" is very good, with guest appearances by Derek Trucks and Kofi Burbidge. They rip through some originals and some Wayne Shorter taboot.

I saw Chris Potter at my school last year when he gave a masterclass and a performance. Moreover, his drummer Nate Smith in his group Underground gave a masterclass at my school too a few months later. I enjoyed his stuff at the time (I did not listen to any of his stuff prior to performance), but recently I decided to check out his stuff, and now I am realizing it's just okay in my opinion.

I dig Jeff Parker a lot lately. I've heard Brad Mehldau is good (he's also coming to my school in May), and I am starting to dig deeply into all of the projects Ken Vandermark has done.

And on a side note: I saw Dave Douglas with his brass band quintet at Chicago Jazz Festival this summer, and I thought it was decent.

I'm sure Louie B can give you some great advice too.

The more-modern stuff isn't necessarily my thing, jazz-wise. But, I guess there are a couple of artists that I've been digging:

John Coltrane - A Love Supereme

I guess that's post-bop. And it's a classic, so maybe you didn't need to know that one. Or maybe you REALLY did.

Last Exit - Last Exit

If you like the really noisy stuff. John Zorn making a major ruckus.

Masada

Another John Zorn project that is a lot more melodic. Incorporates, as you might have guessed, a lot of middle eastern themes and elements. Just beautiful stuff.

Sonny Sharrock - Guitar

Noisy guitar stuff (obviously). But the playing is truly amazing and, if you listen for it, there are many moments of genuine beauty.

Sun Ra - Jazz In Silhouette

I guess it's not technically post-bop, since this album came out sometime in the 1950's, but it is certainly of that bop thing, without really being bop. Probably my favorite Sun Ra record, although I have to admit to being unfamiliar with anything of his past 1961 or so.

I second Schleigho. I saw them once in a small club and stood right in front of the keys player. It was an amazing experience. They sound like 70's Herbie Hancock and Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Also:

Dave Holland Quintet: He played bass for Miles Davis in the fusion years and his group now has Chris Potter and Robin Eubanks (Kevin's brother). Probably the best jazz group around right now. Somehow at a jazz festival by band got to follow them.

Jason Moran: An amazing piano player w/ great original compositions. I happened to be in New York City when he was playing a show at the Village Vanguard. I called ahead because I was running late to see if they could save me a seat up front. I ended sitting right in front of Jason and sitting with his aunt and grandmother. Turns out he was recording a live album that night called The Bandwagon: Live at the Village Vanguard.

Last Exit - Last Exit

If you like the really noisy stuff. John Zorn making a major ruckus.

Is Zorn in Last Exit? I've only heard their live album, which Zorn doesn't play on.

I'm kind of out of the loop when it comes to newer jazz artists. But, if you're into MMW, etc. you might enjoy things like Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi, Sextant, Fat Albert Rotunda or Crossings. Or his Headhunters band.

Also, Miles Davis's electric period. Live Evil, Tribute to Jack Johnson, Bitches Brew, etc.

Is Zorn in Last Exit? I've only heard their live album, which Zorn doesn't play on.

Ah... I was confusing Last Exit with Naked City, which is probably even MORE challenging/abrasive than Last Exit.

Oh, and I have another recommendation:

Barry Adamson - Oedipus Schmoedipus

Former bass player with Magazine and Nick Cave collaborator. This record really knocks me out... it's like a film soundtrack without a film. Some of the darkest, scariest music I've ever heard on there. And it's still a lot of fun. Apparently his new ('08) album, Back To the Cat is every bit as good, if not better (according to AllMusic).

Also:

The Ken Vandermark 5

has a similar sound to Naked City and Last Exit. But it's been a while since I've heard them, so I can't give many more details.

Ah... I was confusing Last Exit with Naked City, which is probably even MORE challenging/abrasive than Last Exit.

Oh yeah, Naked City. Definitely challenging/abrasive.

Well, duh, I totally spaced on an opportunity to pimp Nels. Some great stuff that might appeal to Rider is the Scott Amendola Band. I like "Cry" best. Or, just check out any album Nels plays on that was released by the Cryptogramophone label.

If you like MMW I would highly recommend an East Coast band called Schleigho. The live CD "Live at Hoe Down 2000" is very good, with guest appearances by Derek Trucks and Kofi Burbidge. They rip through some originals and some Wayne Shorter taboot.

I will have to check this out.

I'm always in the mood for Bill Frisell. A guitar god who smashes pre-conceptions of jazz based around the instrument. He's got more Thurston Moore, Willie Nelson, and Jerry Garcia in him than he does any "traditionalist" blazing through sixteenth-note dominant scale runs.

Yea, I dunno, same old shit mostly.

Listened to John McCaughlin My Goals Beyond, with Charlie Haden, Jerry Goodman, Dave Liebman and others that was quite good, accoustic type stuff, I picked up used on vinyl.

Got a Muhal Richard Abrams with Roscoe Mitchell that is interesting called Streams. Picked up an early Ken Vandermark duets thing called Standards.

The Mary Stafford and Edith Wilson sides on Archeophone, which is early blues/vaudville is good stuff if you like early jazz type material.

That's about it.

Excuse my ignorance, who is MMW? Can't seem to pick out who this is from the initials.

LouieB

happy apple.

these guys are easily my favorite modern jazz group. Just so good.

If you are enjoying them you should seek out a group called Fat Kid Wednesdays. It's the same saxophonist from Happy Apple playing with a couple other guys and they are really good. Their records are released on a french label so sometimes they are hard to find but I think they might be on itunes

Yea, I dunno, same old shit mostly.

Listened to John McCaughlin My Goals Beyond, with Charlie Haden, Jerry Goodman, Dave Liebman and others that was quite good, accoustic type stuff, I picked up used on vinyl.

Got a Muhal Richard Abrams with Roscoe Mitchell that is interesting called Streams. Picked up an early Ken Vandermark duets thing called Standards.

The Mary Stafford and Edith Wilson sides on Archeophone, which is early blues/vaudville is good stuff if you like early jazz type material.

That's about it.

Excuse my ignorance, who is MMW? Can't seem to pick out who this is from the initials.

LouieB

medeski martin and wood

to the original poster: get either of their albums that feature john scofield.

A couple years ago I heard a track by a group called Zony Mash that reminded me a little of MMW, but I actually liked it better than most of what I've heard from MMW. I've been meaning to get some of their albums.

Another group the OP might like is the Lounge Lizards.

Right....are these guys jazz actually? I suppose so.

LouieB

Highly influenced by funk and hip hop but I don't see why they wouldn't be. Guess they're pretty groove based.

Speaking of grooves, I have a video of them from Vegoose a few years back with Maceo Parker sitting in for all but one or two songs, anyone else seen this?

I'm always in the mood for Bill Frisell. A guitar god who smashes pre-conceptions of jazz based around the instrument. He's got more Thurston Moore, Willie Nelson, and Jerry Garcia in him than he does any "traditionalist" blazing through sixteenth-note dominant scale runs.

could someone recommend me a Bill Frisell album, can't say i've got one.

could someone recommend me a Bill Frisell album, can't say i've got one.

Man, this much easier said than done. Frisell doesn't have one singular style that can point to an album as characteristic of his sound or definitive. He has many albums where he is somewhat ambient to outright noise, from traditional Americana/Nashville session sounds to heavy metal and World music to more traditional jazz. Although I wouldn't say it is by any means "beginner Frisell," this year's History, Mystery provides glimpses of many different styles but holds together remarkably well for what i would call one of the year's best albums.

Other suggestions:

East/West

Have A Little Faith

Gone, Just Like A Train

Good Dog, Happy Man*

Nashville*

Unspeakable

The Intercontinentals

Bill Frisell With Dave Holland and Elvin Jones

* would probably be the best suggestions for a big Wilco fan.

"Gone Just Like a Train" is my favorite of Bill's albums. I tend to like Bill most with a small group and no horns.

171473_1_f.jpg

thanks for the recommendations.

I've had difficulty getting into Frisell, possibly due to the reasons cited above....

I can relate to that. I really like, admire and am inspired by Frisell, but a lot of his work doesn't connect with me. I haven't been able to get into Intercontinentals or Blues Dream, just to name two albums with larger lineups. As I said before, I gravitate towards his trio albums. For that reason, other favorites of mine include:

East/West

The Willies

Ginger Baker Trio: Going Back Home (my intro to Bill, and possibly the reason why I favor his trio albums/albums that feature his guitar as the primary solo instrument)

Bill w/ Dave Holland and Elvin Jones

Ive probably only heard about 10-15% of Frisell's output. There's SO much that he's on as a leader or as a sideman.

A few exceptions to my "I like Bill better without horns" thing:

Dave Douglas: Strange Liberation

Tim Berne: Fulton Street Maul (Nels' brother Alex is on this one)

Jenny Scheinman: 12 Songs