Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still my #1 too. :yes

Some great points. However, the line "You ain't the type to be travelin', so why not just stay." to a dude that's spent the better part of the last decade on the road doesn't seem to fit. If I had to guess, I'd say this song has more to do with Shonna than Patterson. Either way, a great, powerful song.

I believe you are correct. I hear the lyrics a tiny bit differently than I originally did and they fit your theory more than mine.

I believe you are correct. I hear the lyrics a tiny bit differently than I originally did and they fit your theory more than mine.

This is 100% speculation on my part, but I get the sense that things between Jason and Patterson are good. I get the sense that his relationships with Shonna (for obvious reasons) and Cooley are not.

easily 4/5... in fact on the Pfork scale i'd say more like 8.3-8.5

From the review:

So while "Seven Mile Island" does reference a real place, and "However Long" definitely does seem to reflect an Obama-spurred sense of societal optimism, they're not the album's real lyrical standouts. That honor belongs to the ruminative "Streetlights", which shows us an itinerant musician calling home from some faraway bar.

:yes

From the review:

So while "Seven Mile Island" does reference a real place, and "However Long" definitely does seem to reflect an Obama-spurred sense of societal optimism, they're not the album's real lyrical standouts. That honor belongs to the ruminative "Streetlights", which shows us an itinerant musician calling home from some faraway bar.

:yes

That's a pretty apt review. I thought this line was spot on:

His occasional bar-band leanings may cause some to miss that Isbell is an invigorating songwriter and one of the better lyricists of his generation.

I never think his lyrics get enough credit. He's a fantastic storyteller.

This line was a bit of a "whuh?", though:

Sure, "Blue" sounds like Los Lonely Boys filtered through RHCP's "Under the Bridge"...