Question about shows

Has anyone here had any experience with meeting the band before/after a show? If so, how'd it go, and what's the best time/way to attempt to pass along a simple hello and a handshake to the guys in the band?

Did you end up meeting any of the guys?

What about before the show? I realize this is a far more stressful time for a band, but just in general what's a good rule of thumb for when the tourbus arrives at the venue?

Yea, I figured as such. And I'd much rather my "meeting wilco" moment occur when the guys aren't busy unloading junk/getting ready for a show. So I'll give it a shot after the show. Safe to assume they're nice guys when it comes to fans?

Regardless, I'm pretty excited to see them tomorrow for the first time. They seem to hit the DC/MD area a lot, but something kept preventing me from seeing them until now, when I jumped on this show as a two weeks delayed birthday present. Here's hoping for a crazy good setlist!

Meeting Wilco is the same as meeting any band. Don't stalk them, be polite and don't be demanding.

Remember Wilco isn't a small time band anymore, so it is harder to find a way to talk to them than it used to be.

LouieB

i've met jeff, john and pat before the show and they were more than friendly. i hung around the door where artists go into the venue. they dont unload their own equipment - they have roadies for that. jeff usually gets roped in to do promo stuff for the media before the show, so it might be harder to meet him. i met john in the before the show while he was casually strolling down the street doing some window shopping. pat even invited us to go partying with them after the show

apparently jeff doesnt hang around much afterwards and gets whisked away to his hotel.. even when meeting them after the show, they're cool. a few of us got backstage passes this year and even though we were "just a fan" among some industry big shots, they didnt snob us off

you'll be fine - they're friendly guys

I met Jeff twice, both after shows. He left the building first, about 20 minutes after the last song. I met John before a show, he was strolling...

I have yet to meet the rest of the guys, except Pat, but that was at an Autumn Defense show...

Met Pat and John after an Autumn Defense show (Proud Larry's, Oxford, MS ~2003-4). Also talked to John again somewhere in Oxford around that same time elsewhere.

Met Mike after the show in Athens, GA (Classic Center ~2006).

All were very cordial and nice. The ones at the Autumn Defense show, John and Pat were milling around after the show because there isn't really a backstage at Larry's. Mike was walking down the street and stopped to talk for a minute when I approached him.

Like was said, as with any band, be cordial and appreciative, but not 'clingy.'