Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It

A friend of mine just brought this in for me to hear.

Hard to believe that it's an '08 release... it sounds straight out of 60's Motown... Smokey Robinson style. Seriously retro and seriously great.

Almost too retro for its own good, if the songs weren't so damn good.

(Think Amy Winehouse or James Hunter.)

Just made my list of things to buy. Soon! And it might become one of those albums that you're kicking yourself for not hearing before the year ended. It certainly will make my Top 5 of the year.

l58977z0108.jpg

When Raphael Saadiq, along with his partners in Tony! Toni! Ton
A friend of mine just brought this in for me to hear.

Hard to believe that it's an '08 release... it sounds straight out of 60's Motown... Smokey Robinson style. Seriously retro and seriously great.

Almost too retro for its own good, if the songs weren't so damn good.

(Think Amy Winehouse or James Hunter.)

Just made my list of things to buy. Soon! And it might become one of those albums that you're kicking yourself for not hearing before the year ended. It certainly will make my Top 5 of the year.

l58977z0108.jpg

great album imo. i am a little miffed that his nashville show has evaporated two times (including his late pull from john legend opening slot at the ryman next month). but the album is smooth and quite enjoyable.

• 1 year later...

Just ordered for 0.99 from Amazon.

I'd rather go with "Like New" from a reputable seller. But yeah, it should be on its way soon.

Thanks!

Just ordered for 0.99 from Amazon.

I'd rather go with "Like New" from a reputable seller. But yeah, it should be on its way soon.

Thanks!

Fair enough...hope you enjoy it! I still give it a spin every so oftent 17 years after I first bought it in the long box cd cases! :stunned

Just arrived:

51F1CYJ9CTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A first listen to it now, and it's pretty enjoyable. Not digging it as much as the Saadiq solo record, but it's still fun, and evocative of a certain time period.

Thanks for the rec!