Simple Twist of Fate

Alright, here is a longshot. I was at the two shows on Feb 13th and 14th at the Vic where he played Simple Twist of Fate both nights...one of the highlights of both nights. Has anybody seen this live and tried to figure out the chords/tab for it. It sounds different than the soundtrack version, for one, simply because he puts a capo on the second fret...I think, but some of the chords are different than the recorded version as well...I think. I found a chorded out version of the song on Ultimate Guitar Archive, and it is close, but I am a bit of a perfectionist and cannot seem to nail it down. I was using You Tube to learn it, but it was pulled from the site, and now I'm stuck with using my fizzled-out memory to learn it. It is not a hard song to play, and it is giving me the red-ass because I can't seem to make it sound right. I just thought I'd throw it out there and hope. Thanks!

Ya there is actually a lyrics/tabs section right underneath this one. (Via Chicago>Short Term Goals>Lyrics & Tabs) Posts in this section (Solid State Technology) is more geared toward.....gear lol (pardon the pun I had to do it) Word of advice, the search feature is a bit tricky, I don't really know why I just go with it, I searched "Simple twist of fate" and it got me nothing, however searching the more general word "twist" brought me the info. Hope all this helps ;)

I have not seen the vid or heard this version (so take my words for what they are worth), but I play this tune in Open D capo'd 2 (making Open E).

Perhaps JT is doing the same? He has a bunch of others in Open D therefore making a smooth transition (to Pot Kettle Black or Not for the Season or Radio Cure or ...)

BTW, nice avatar. Martin HD28V? Gotta love herringbone...

I have not seen the vid or heard this version (so take my words for what they are worth), but I play this tune in Open D capo'd 2 (making Open E).

Perhaps JT is doing the same? He has a bunch of others in Open D therefore making a smooth transition (to Pot Kettle Black or Not for the Season or Radio Cure or ...)

He has no excuse not to play she talks to angels haha, the most quintessential and cliche open D (or is it open E?) tuned song ever

He has no excuse not to play she talks to angels haha, the most quintessential and cliche open D (or is it open E?) tuned song ever

Ha! Yes it is. Open E:

e |-----0------0------0----------0-| R
B |-4h5---4\2-0------0-----------0-| E
G#|--------------0h1----1-1p0----0-| P
E |---------------------------0--0-| E
B |--------------------------------| A
E |--------------------------------| T

I play this tune in open D with a capo on 2 (thanks to Anthony for directing me to the dylanchords site). But I am virtually certain that Jeff plays it in standard tuning (as Kalle tabbed out in the link posted above). Both sound good, but if you want to sound like BOTT, you gotta play it open. You need the drone.

i think jeff plays this one in plain g, in standard tuning. for the simple twist of fate part, he just slides the c shape up two frets to form a d. it sounds sorta like the one he did for the im not there soundtrack.

I'm thinking that tuning might be the answer. From seeing it originally, I thought it was played in standard, but that may be why I've had so much trouble nailing it down. Thanks for the help.

You got it...Martin HD28V...she's been good to me.

i think jeff plays this one in plain g, in standard tuning. for the simple twist of fate part, he just slides the c shape up two frets to form a d. it sounds sorta like the one he did for the im not there soundtrack.

This may be what I saw him do live in Chicago. While the open D sounds like the Dylan version. Because I'm pretty sure that he didn't change tuning on his pre-war Martin that he was playing. In fact, that is what he did...the C shape up the neck...I'm self-taught and am light on the theory, I just play be ear and eye...I have never seen this done...this is a first for me on the C shape further up the neck...but that is the part of the song that was throwing me for a loop. Thanks a lot, all of you have been very helpful.

After to listening to the I'm Not There version, I am convinced it is in standard like Kalle chorded out. The descending C - C/B - Am is the giveaway, methinks.

Speaking of alternate versions of Blood on the Tracks, has anyone heard the alternate "New York" takes of Idiot Wind and Tangled Up In Blue (both in Open E)? Just stumbled across these and am really digging them.

Yeah...I've been playing it in standard (capo 2) up against the I'm Not There version and it seems to be spot on. Although, I think that the recorded version was capo 1, but when I saw it live it was capo 2...but whatever. The part that I was having trouble with, or that I couldn't get to sound right, was that D chord in the C (9?) shape up the neck on the "Simple Twist of Fate" line in the song. That was it. Played it earlier in the open D capo 2...that sounds great too, and accurate...more melancholy for sure. Thanks for the help.

I dont think Jeff made the changes. I think they are alternate lyrics that Dylan had. I could be wrong, but I'd be stunned if Jeff changed Dylan's lyrics himself. That would be bad karma in my eyes. To insert your own lyrics into a Dylan song? Yikes!

Guest Gym Teacher Man
I dont think Jeff made the changes. I think they are alternate lyrics that Dylan had. I could be wrong, but I'd be stunned if Jeff changed Dylan's lyrics himself. That would be bad karma in my eyes. To insert your own lyrics into a Dylan song? Yikes!

hmmm, that never crossed my mind. that was basically my exact reaction... "just who do you think you are, mr. jeff?"

This is true. Jeff did not change the lyrics. He used what Dylan usually sang live after the record was recorded (he is notorious for this - especially the BotT songs).

I actually love the alternate version. The "caught me in my prime" lyric is just devastating.

http://dylanchords.info/

Great stuff on this site, the go to site for any Dylan lyrics and tabs. It has a lot of the simple twist of fate variations.

For example

"They walked along by the old canal

Down Waterfront Street by the bell

Stopped into the Riverfront hotel

The desk clerk dressed in white

With a face as black as night

He said, "Check out time's at eight"

Remember now 'bout that simple twist of fate

He woke up and it sure was dim

He could feel her eyes looking at him

That's all right, but her chance was slim

And in everyway he came pushing through

He said, "Baby, I'm leaving my heart with you,

Take good care of it, and don't berate

All about that simple twist of fate."

Morning comes and she was there

He could feel her climb on his hair

But he couldn't see her anywhere

And the dawn was coming up

She dropped a coin into the cup

Of a blind man at the gate

And forgot about the simple twist of fate"

I highly recommend finding the "Real Live" CD, great alt version of Tangled Up In Blue

Let me recommend Dylan'd Bootleg Seris Volume 5: Rolling Thunder. Great (alternate) versions of Simple Twist & Blue.

51PPXP3FHYL._SS500_.jpg

:wub

this was the first dylan album i bought. i think i listened to it exclusively for about 6 months. :music