Any strong feelings seem to help push the art along, even if they're negative feelings like the immense sadness of depression. I don't think suffering is required to create art, but I think art can definitely be a nice side effect of suffering sometimes. And the art can help relieve the suffering sometimes too.

Personally, I've been going through some negative stuff lately and today I felt inspired to color little rocket ships and animate them. I don't think feeling stepped on necessarily led to the rocket ship animation, but I can say the rockets have made me feel a little better...so that's good. :blush

My thought about this is that when depressed, the depression becomes primary, the art becomes secondary. The art is the therapy for the depression and powerful emotions create powerful art. If you're feeling down it may be a good time to write music, if that's what you need. I would just do whatever makes you feel better. I don't think anyone who has made good art because they were depressed would recommend being depressed for the sake of the art.

I think Bob Mould's music has gone to pot since he became "happy". Do I wish he was still depressed to make music I enjoy? No. I'm a glad he made some incredible art during some very dark periods? Yes. But having had close family members suffer through depression, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I prefer music that comes from an intense emotional place -- depression, falling in love, anger, exuberation/jubilation, whatever I just don't enjoy "relaxed" music if that makes any sense. So in my experience as a writer, I find my best work comes out when I'm feeling intense emotions.

I definitely got back into writing a lot when I was depressed, and I find depressive bouts push me more into art than when I'm happier. However I have also found that I can do a damn fine job writing from a happy / calm place so long as I focus on something intense in that vein. My most recent song opens, "oh what a handsome man am i -- just look for yourself, i'm easy on the eyes."

I'm fairly confident depressed-me wouldn't have written this pleasant, tongue-in-cheek bravado tune, so I am glad that I do not feel like I am "better off depressed." Because I've certainly thought about that in the music context before. However, I just think it's fallacy, other than that when you feel bad you can sometimes have more drive.