Blitzen Trapper and Alela Diane

Awesome pics! I've seen other pictures that you've taken before, and thought how "Tinnitus Photography" is the perfect name. Better than my "Visible Rhythm" that I used for concert photography.

What do you shoot with? You get such great shots...are they mostly using available stage light? I'm looking to upgrade my camera, and I need a digital with the speed to capture detail in low light. I see yours does pretty well!

EDIT: I see on your site that you're using a 5D, and some of the ones from last year are using a 30D. I can REALLY see the difference. Your pics speak volumes for the 5D! I'm looking at the 50D right now.

Awesome pics! I've seen other pictures that you've taken before, and thought how "Tinnitus Photography" is the perfect name. Better than my "Visible Rhythm" that I used for concert photography.

What do you shoot with? You get such great shots...are they mostly using available stage light? I'm looking to upgrade my camera, and I need a digital with the speed to capture detail in low light. I see yours does pretty well!

EDIT: I see on your site that you're using a 5D, and some of the ones from last year are using a 30D. I can REALLY see the difference. Your pics speak volumes for the 5D! I'm looking at the 50D right now.

thanks Emma (er Mrs Peel if you prefer ;) ) -

i recently sold my 30D since i got the new 5D mkII and it's an outstanding camera...shooting @ 3200ISO is not a problem, and i've been at 6400 a fair bit recently. however, the 5D is a great camera in its own right, and you could likely get a used copy for fairly short $ these days as people upgrade and/or stock is depleted.

whenever possible i don't use flash, but for the occasional metal or punk show it can be fun (esp longer shutter drags).

thanks Emma (er Mrs Peel if you prefer ;) ) -

i recently sold my 30D since i got the new 5D mkII and it's an outstanding camera...shooting @ 3200ISO is not a problem, and i've been at 6400 a fair bit recently. however, the 5D is a great camera in its own right, and you could likely get a used copy for fairly short $ these days as people upgrade and/or stock is depleted.

whenever possible i don't use flash, but for the occasional metal or punk show it can be fun (esp longer shutter drags).

Haha, Jen, actually. But I wish I was Emma. I saw your pics of The Freeze show....there's some good ones there. Punk shows are so much fun to shoot.

I'm not sure I can afford the 5D even at a discount, since it's for personal use. I'm a photographer professionally, but a product photographer. We have a 4x5 with a digital back that we can transfer to a Mamiya handheld camera, and a Canon Rebel xTi for shooting meetings and stuff. But I couldn't swing a 5D. I can "borrow" the Canon lenses we have though, which is why I'm looking at a Canon for myself. I've taken the Rebel to a few shows (shhh...don't tell anybody) and it is leaps and bounds better than the last digital camera I bought for myself....an Olympus E10. It's about 7 years old now. Basically a paperweight. I started bringing the Rebel just to have something, and I get some decent shots, but it's too grainy in low light situations. It's about time I got something new for myself.

What lenses do you use?

Haha, Jen, actually. But I wish I was Emma. I saw your pics of The Freeze show....there's some good ones there. Punk shows are so much fun to shoot.

I'm not sure I can afford the 5D even at a discount, since it's for personal use. I'm a photographer professionally, but a product photographer. We have a 4x5 with a digital back that we can transfer to a Mamiya handheld camera, and a Canon Rebel xTi for shooting meetings and stuff. But I couldn't swing a 5D. I can "borrow" the Canon lenses we have though, which is why I'm looking at a Canon for myself. I've taken the Rebel to a few shows (shhh...don't tell anybody) and it is leaps and bounds better than the last digital camera I bought for myself....an Olympus E10. It's about 7 years old now. Basically a paperweight. I started bringing the Rebel just to have something, and I get some decent shots, but it's too grainy in low light situations. It's about time I got something new for myself.

What lenses do you use?

the XTi isn't too bad on high ISO from what i've seen, but it's clearly not in the 5D league. my first digital was the rebel XT and that worked pretty well at 1600.

at any given time, one of these could be mounted to the camera:

sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye

canon 35 f/1.4

canon 50 f/1.4

canon 85 f/1.8

canon 135 f/2

canon 24-70 f/2.8

canon 70-200 f/2.8

for bigger shows you can't beat the zooms but i use primes a lot since small clubs tend to have poor lighting and your mobility is restricted considerably.

shooting MF at a show would be interesting. :D

and you are right about punk shows being fun to shoot. metal shows, too.

Thanks for all the info. Right now I'm looking at a 50D body with a Sigma 30mm f1.4 and Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 zoom for general use. I have a Canon 85mm f1.8 and a Canon 100mm f2.8 at work. I think that might cover me for what I need. I'd be using it for a trip to Europe in the fall as well, so I need just a couple of lenses that I can carry with me without adding too much bulk.

Anyway, this has gone way off topic.....you have my dream job. Keep up the outstanding work, I've enjoyed browsing through your site today!