So, starting ten minutes ago, I am in an appointment window. From 8:00AM-noon, I am supposed to sit around and wait for a guy to come replace my windshield. Am I not the customer? Is there no one willing to break this mold? I know I would pay a bit more if someone would, at the very least, narrow this window. Why is that so hard? I understand that when I made the appointment a few days ago that they might not be able to give me a more precise timeframe then. But one would think that by last night, they would have their schedule pretty well solidified. Would an email and/or phone call to give the customer a more accurate idea of when the worker will show up be that hard to do? I know we have all been there, whether it be for the phone company, cable guy or windshield replacement. When did we just accept that this is best customer service we should be entitled to?

/rant

I just have them come to my office. They call me when I arrive, and I run down and talk to them for a couple of minutes. Then they call me when they're done. Never posed much of a problem for me.

Now, that's windshield replacement.

Cable TV or the power company ... totally different story, because then I'm pinned down at home.

Guest Gym Teacher Man

i completely hate appointment windows too. but i think it is important to understand that these companies are service a large number of customers on a consistent basis, and that things do come up.

i've actually cooled on my hatred for this sort of customer service when the cable guy didn't show up in the window (saturday 12 - 5) due to weather related issues and other scheduled calls and asked if he could come later that night, on his own time, but said he didn't want to ruin any of my saturday night plans. he came at like 9:30 that night and set up my cable for me and was apologetic and polite.

The problem I had when I first ordered internet at my new abode: I work until 5 and because my cable company has a window that's from 5-8, I pick that window. It took me almost a month to get my internet hooked up because they would call my house around 3 everytime and say "We're in your area and can do it now if that's convenient for you." Seems nice, but what I learned is that they are really saying "I finished all my jobs today and unless I can come now it's not happening." They leave a call back number but that goes to a call center instead of their cell phone and the person who answers is clueless or in India.

I haven't had to get anything like this recently but the other day my friend told me that he can usually get them to whittle it down to 2 hours if he's persistent. I guess that would be fine, but over the years I've had times where they don't even show up.

With cell phones now, what they should do is set an appointment for a specific time, but let you know that you should be able to be flexible and they'll call if it something happens. That seems like a human thing to do.

I had something about a year ago with Verizon FIOS. They scheduled an appointment from 5-8 then didn't show up. I called and they said all the workers had a union meeting that night so the call was canceled. A call to reschedule would have been nice.

Cryptique - I see you work at Yoyodine Propulsion Systems. Do you know anyone there named John Bigbootee?